Talk

Advanced search

Close transfer resorts from airport

(18 Posts)
WelshMoth Fri 30-Dec-16 08:05:35

I have poor coach travellers with both DD's. Any suggestions for close resorts in France? Thanks.

jo164 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:48:52

If you fancy something different and don't need challenging black run style skiing you could look at Levi in Finland. 15 mins in a taxi from airport smile

SwearyGodmother Sat 31-Dec-16 17:52:36

Chamonix and St Gervais are less than an hour from Geneva, as is Avoriaz/Morzine and the rest of Portes de Soleil. If you're not stuck on France lots of places are very close to, and accessible by rail from, Innsbruck in Austria (St Anton is a direct train) and they're cheaper and quieter, with better mountain food, than France.

WelshMoth Sat 31-Dec-16 20:14:54

Thanks Sweary, thanks jo. Will be looking tonight.

museumum Sat 31-Dec-16 20:16:53

Les Gets is 1.45 I think.
Or in Austria Mayerhofen or around there from Innsbruck in less than an hour.

MountainDweller Sat 31-Dec-16 20:48:29

If you're not bothered about being in a big resort you could look at Crozet/Lelex or La Faucille in the French Jura - half an hour from Geneva. Not sure how to do link but it's Monts-jura.com

WelshMoth Sat 31-Dec-16 21:04:39

Thanks everyone - that's really helpful.
I'm trying to look for holiday packages to Levi but cannot find a tour operator. I know I don't have the budget for Finaldn, but I'd love to look. Any ideas?

WelshMoth Sat 31-Dec-16 21:07:33

Another question - has anyone ski'id in Courchevel?

LIZS Sat 31-Dec-16 21:14:11

Inghams or Neilson used to cover Finland. Alpe d' Huez and Les Arcs are short transfers, as are local resorts near Lake Annecy like La Clusaz, and Morzine and along the Chamonix valley.

SeaweedSa1ad Sat 31-Dec-16 21:17:27

Yes, we've been to Courchevel many times - before we had kids and many times with kids.

Great resort, loads of runs and interesting areas. Super place to go with kids IMHO.

But it's almost 2 hours by coach from Chambery. We tend to give our kids travel pills / anti sickness pills before the flight (package says it's effective for 12 hours, which just about gets us to the resort).

WelshMoth Sat 31-Dec-16 22:43:19

Thanks all. Am still looking!
Can only dream of Finland though...

TataEs Sat 31-Dec-16 23:00:44

courcheval is expensive when you are there and 3 hours from geneva i think.
chamonix is 45 mins from geneva and lovely. i hate the transfer so this is oils be my pick.

Twoevils Sat 31-Dec-16 23:12:45

Morzine/Les Gets are only 1 hour from Geneva and both excellent skiing (snow willing of course). Quite a windy bendy drive though unsurprisingly.

If you can get flights to Chamberey then there are resorts close by.

Nononononono33 Sat 31-Dec-16 23:14:37

I would say Levi. We have booked via Inghams for March 2017.

dottygamekeeper Sat 31-Dec-16 23:17:12

Does it have to be France? Lots of resorts close to Salzburg in Austria - mainly motorway to get to them and not much driving up the mountain round hairpin bends...

Chickenagain Sat 31-Dec-16 23:27:47

Megeve. Absolutely beautiful. One hour from Geneva. Can recommend a private taxi firm if you want one. Simon Butlers Chalet D'Antoinr is fabulous & very child friendly.

WelshMoth Sun 01-Jan-17 00:27:28

Oh thanks everyone. With your wisdom. I reckon I'll find my holiday.

Happy New Year everyone!

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 02-Jan-17 22:00:59

Les Carroz is just under 1 hour from Geneva and a very easy journey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now