Talk

Advanced search

First time skiing- where and when?

(20 Posts)
WhatLizzyDid Thu 29-Dec-16 22:06:59

Hi

I'm currently looking at booking a skiing holiday for me, DH and DS (nearly 7). None of us have ever been skiing before but have always wanted to go. Where would you recommend for beginners? When should we go? We live in the U.K. So preferably Europe and I work in education so it would have to be out of term time.

I would be really grateful for your thoughts x

WhatLizzyDid Thu 29-Dec-16 22:07:54

PS. DH and I have done one morning lesson at an indoor ski slope.

EvaSthlm Sat 31-Dec-16 14:41:36

I hate it when it's steep downhill skiing and, partially therefore, have never been to the Alps. But if you don't necessarily want to go to the Alps (which might the easier choice) you could check out Sälen, there will be a lot of Swedes and Danes there though.... www.skistar.com/en/Salen/About-Salen/
Here's a pic where you can see the people skiing now, today: webbkameror.se/skidkameror/salen/index.php

I relearned how to ski at 40+ (I had been skiing as a child but stopped when I was about 12 years old when I outgrew my skis).

EvaSthlm Sat 31-Dec-16 14:45:19

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes, I spotted them once I had posted the reply ... smile

jo164 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:42:03

If you have to go at Easter (like me) then I would also recommend Scandinavia. We ski in levi, Finland which is great for beginners and intermediate skiers or like me, someone who would rather ski with my family now rather than hit the black runs! You would have to do it all independently as package deals from UK don't go that late into season. Easy to do though. Some good resorts in Norway and Sweden as well. We like Levi as although you have to change planes in Helsinki, it's a 15 min transfer at the other end. Great snow right through until May. Standard of accommodation also very high.

conserveisposhforjam Sat 31-Dec-16 17:45:51

You need to make sure there is snow (!) So I would go France and go high (over 1500m minimum)

And if you can afford it I'd go with club med because they take care of absolutely everything so you won't need to faff around with lift passes / lessons etc. And the food is fucking brilliant which is the main point of skiing actually

LIZS Sat 31-Dec-16 17:50:56

Choose a resort with plenty of other facilities so you can do other activities if snow is dire, white out, slushy in afternoons or just for a change. If traditional scenery is important to you then Austria might suit and English is widely spoken . Aim high if late in season but as beginners you don't need vast kilometres of terrain.

WhatLizzyDid Sun 01-Jan-17 12:02:38

Thank you so, so much for your replies! I feel I have lots to go on smile I do like the sound of Salen or Levi.
The higher the better and make sure there is other stuff to do! Thanks again smile and Happy New Year!

WhatLizzyDid Sun 01-Jan-17 12:14:46

Oooh I'm getting carried away looking at club med now!

conserveisposhforjam Sun 01-Jan-17 18:39:51

smile The one in wengen is beautiful and if you don't enjoy the skiing you can go down into the valley and do spring walks...

LIZS Sun 01-Jan-17 19:46:00

Snow very hit and miss in Wengen sadly though. If none in the village, as at present, it is a scrum onto the trains or cablecar to access nursery slopes. Great once you've found your skilegs and conditions are good though.

conserveisposhforjam Sun 01-Jan-17 19:52:04

Yeah I'm rather ignoring my own advice there. ..

So beautiful though. Austria and Switzerland are gorgeous. But France is high smile

superram Sun 01-Jan-17 19:54:21

I like Andorra as it's cheap. Been in a package but also independently drove from Barcelona. Pas de la casa is a party place but soldeu and arinsal are great.

lapsedorienteerer Sun 01-Jan-17 19:55:25

Austria......no question

conserveisposhforjam Sun 01-Jan-17 20:15:21

All low though. Will be a v shit skiing holiday if there's no snow!

trixymalixy Sun 01-Jan-17 20:26:06

Need to go high, so somewhere like Tignes or val d'isere at that time of year so there will be snow . I'd also recommend going with someone like esprit or crystal who have childcare for your first time skiing with kids as they'll sort everything out for you.

LIZS Sun 01-Jan-17 20:27:05

Saas Fee is higher and picturesque if budget will stretch to Swiss prices. Longer transfer unless you can fly to Sion. Alpe d'Huez is not terribly attractive for non skiers, like many French resorts above treeline.

LIZS Sun 01-Jan-17 20:28:03

Sorry wrong thread!

Buttercupsandaisies Mon 02-Jan-17 17:33:22

Andorra is ok - we go in 6 weeks but our hotel is keeping us posted on Facebook and people are skiing fine and have been for weeks now

EvaSthlm Mon 02-Jan-17 18:57:40

I might have gone to Austria too, had it not been so far away from where I am. That's why I end up skiing in Scandinavia (I'm already here).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now