Talk

Advanced search

Do I need lessons

(9 Posts)
Buttercupsandaisies Thu 29-Dec-16 21:39:48

Hi all just after some advice please šŸ™‚

Me and DH have skied for 3x one week holidays but all 10 years ago. At the time, we had lessons on the latest 2 holidays but both times we ended up missing the lessons after the 2-3rd day as we felt confident etc and felt we were wasting time with instructor

Fast forward and we've booked to go skiing next month with DH and neither of us have skied since! I remember how to ski but haven't actually done it since! Do you think we'll need to book lessons?

Thanks

Doje Thu 29-Dec-16 21:42:50

I'd say no! I went when I was at school twice, then didn't go for 10 years. If you're comfortable with where you were 10 years ago you'll be fine!

Doje Thu 29-Dec-16 21:43:58

Obviously, when I went 10 years later I was fine! Took me a whole 2 minutes to find my feet.

SwearyGodmother Thu 29-Dec-16 21:49:20

I'd say yes. You may feel confident enough most of the time but the 10% of the time when you might not you're a danger to other people. I'd avoid ski school though and just do a private lesson - in one private lesson you'll learn more than a week in ski school. You could even do this in a fridge before you go. It'll also make more of the mountain accessible - if you're only confident on blue runs it does frustrate to pay for a pass for the whole mountain!

We skied a few years back with people who wouldn't get lessons. It drove me mad. After the first day I refused to ski with them but meeting for lunch was nigh on impossible because they could only ski greens and had no concept of what time it would take them to get anywhere. It also gave some hairy moments in getting home for last lift. A refresher lesson to restore confidence would have avoided this. I appreciate you're probably not like these people but it was a stark reminder to me to keep on top of my skills.

LIZS Thu 29-Dec-16 21:51:49

Yes , even if just for a half day private lesson. Equipment will have changed in that time and it will ease you back in.

celtiethree Thu 29-Dec-16 21:52:54

Depends on what you want from your holiday. I ski to a high standard and so do my DC every holiday I book us all in for lessons, this way we improve year on year plus expand what we are comfortable with. With an instructor I get to ski a lot more difficult terrain and so do my DC.

Thingywhatsit Thu 29-Dec-16 21:56:06

I'd get a private lesson on your second day tbh, gives you a day to get you ski legs back and you will get loads from a private lesson on day 2, and be able to start hitting the red and black slopes. I went 4 years ago after having not ski'd for 14 years (having been 2x1 week in my teens) I was zooming down reds by end of the first day, I wish I had got myself a private lesson though, as it would have really helped my technique and confidence and would have helped me loads when trying to keep up with my then bf who was zooming about on a snowboard

lapsedorienteerer Thu 29-Dec-16 21:59:26

Yes

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 29-Dec-16 22:26:08

Thanks for the tips! We are with a very large group and sharing several private instructors - some are much better than me and others have never skied so hopefully I'll be able to start in one group them move. The instructors will serve more as a guide in the better groups

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now