Talk

Advanced search

Mark warner and brexit implications

(15 Posts)
smokeybacon Wed 07-Dec-16 15:06:24

Anyone else travelling with MW this season? Had the email requesting more money ?
Is this just MW or is anyone aware of other package companies doing the same? Am pretty cross but aware that not much sympathy will come my way as , well, skiing ain't cheap! But as we paid up in full and budgeted for that, I am cross to be asked for more....

PotteringAlong Wed 07-Dec-16 15:08:58

If you've paid in full then how on earth can they change the price now?! Surely that's their problem, not yours?!

PotteringAlong Wed 07-Dec-16 15:09:50

I think you need to check the small print of your contract.

smokeybacon Wed 07-Dec-16 19:40:23

Will be checking the t and c.
They say it's due to the massive fall in sterling.
Whether they can or not, I am cross all the same!

PotteringAlong Wed 07-Dec-16 19:41:14

Such is life! I'd be telling them to jog on I think!

LIZS Wed 07-Dec-16 19:45:05

Check the t & c. Is it for ski packs/passes as there may be a caveat about currency fluctuations for those.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 09-Dec-16 20:34:10

Fucking hell! If those fuckers can't hedge their currency they shouldn't be in business. I'd tell them to fuck off and let them serve me with something legal... Their t&c's may well contain something, but I'd stand firm until they tried to back out of the contract.

There is no excuse, the Euro has been (very fucking recently) at the level we see now. Awful business.

.. as you can tell, that's rattled my cage. Sorry OP, that is totally shit from a company purporting to be at the better end of the package market.

smokeybacon Sat 10-Dec-16 12:29:19

They had our full balance in August rather than the usual 8 weeks before departure (we go in April) so the fact they have had our money since then and now ask for an extra £30-£50 more per person, is beyond cheeky. dH says we should be firm and not pay. I will await the "invoice" and battle it out I think.

Any other companies done this? Esprit? Crystal? Inghams? I would be interested to hear.

trixymalixy Sat 10-Dec-16 12:32:41

WTF?! No!! Currency fluctuations are just something these companies should absorb. They can't ask you for more money after you've booked!!

Fair enough putting up prices for holidays not sold yet, but this is not on. I'd be interested to see if there is anything in their terms and conditions that says they can do this.

trixymalixy Sat 10-Dec-16 12:39:18

Also being discussed here. Looks like it is in the contract...

Bit silly though as they will lose repeat bookings.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sat 10-Dec-16 12:44:15

I would be worrying about their business going bust tbh.

Never heard of this before.

trixymalixy Sat 10-Dec-16 12:46:40

I'd also be very concerned about them going bust. Hope you've got insurance OP.

trixymalixy Sat 10-Dec-16 12:47:09

Cross post piglet!

caroldecker Sat 10-Dec-16 13:36:07

The travel regulations appear to allow this.
Mark Warner T&C state exchange rates shown which are taken from the Financial Times Guide to World Currencies on the applicable date and known costs on that date.
My understanding is that these were based as October 2012 - has anyone challenged the reduction in oil prices since that time and why there is no refund for that, as they should offer in their T&C?

Nouli Tue 20-Dec-16 10:36:17

I've just seen this thread and thought you might be interested in this Telegraph article because it has some good advice on how to challenge the surcharge. I hope you have a wonderful ski holiday despite the issue: www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/mark-warner-joins-long-list-of-operators-asking-for-more-money-surcharge/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now