Would you book a skiing holiday for March if you were TTC?

(20 Posts)
Advice0nscarplease Mon 07-Nov-16 13:50:17

Would you consider skiing if you were pregnant (less than three months pregnant, I wouldn't consider skiing with a proper bump, far too dangerous).

If I do go ahead and book the holiday, and I do fall pregnant, would going on a skiing holiday but not skiing be the most miserable thing ever?

MissHC Mon 07-Nov-16 13:55:34

No. I had the most horrendous hyperemesis for 7 months. I could barely walk, never mind ski.

Even without hyperemesis you're likely to feel nauseous and tired. Not the best combination for skiing.

minijoeyjojo Mon 07-Nov-16 13:58:29

Yes absolutely! I went skiing last year when I was 4 weeks and again at 8 weeks. I was more cautious when skiing, keeping to easier runs and no off-piste, but I had a good time.

I probably wouldn't later on in the pregnancy, but that early and the baby is very well protected by your pelvis.

The main downsides for me were no drinking, no rare steak, no cured meat and no runny eggs sad sad times in a catered chalet in France!!

WiIdfire Mon 07-Nov-16 13:59:18

I had a nice but somewhat lonely holiday at 20 weeks, as the rest of the group were off skiing. I'm quite happy to entertain myself, but the only things to do were spa (not allowed) go drinking (not allowed) skiing (I wouldnt at any stage, but then I'm not very good) or shopping. For skiing stuff or wine.

It wasnt terrible but there were plenty of better things I'd have spent my money on if I'd had a choice.

superking Mon 07-Nov-16 13:59:56

Yes I would ski in early stages of pregnancy.

Yes I have been on a non-skiing ski holiday due to pregnancy. It was ok, more fun than being at work but nothing like as much fun as skiing/ drinking/ eating rare steak. Mine was a big, important holiday with extended family, I wouldn't have done it otherwise as it wouldn't be worth the cost.

topaz22 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:08:07

i would book it. you never know
how long it will take to fall pregnant, (hopefully soon for you). flowers

FadedRed Mon 07-Nov-16 14:13:11

I went skiing when I was 11-13 weeks pregnant. Did black runs and everything as usual. DC is now in late twenties and a very good skier! grin
Obviously if you have any problems related to pregnancy, then you will have to reassess the situation. Up to you really.

Enidblyton1 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:22:30

I would book it. If you don't fall pregnant by then you'll have something to take your mind off ttc!
I skied a bit when 3 months pregnant, but I had bad morning sickness so didn't manage much. If no morning sickness you'll be absolutely fine smile

lovetoskimum Mon 07-Nov-16 14:48:12

I would, I skied when I was 5 months, but was very careful, infact the best skiing I have done !!

Go for it smile

Cyclebird Mon 07-Nov-16 14:52:02

I would too. Also skied at 5 months. Enjoy! And good luck with TTC wink

Advice0nscarplease Mon 07-Nov-16 16:55:56

Thanks for the reassurance! I don't want to not book as I might not get pregnant. I don't want to put my life on hold.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 07-Nov-16 18:32:17

I'd book it. If you don't/can't ski but you end up with a baby, yey good to go. If not, all that mountain air might do you good.

... I think you might find this board a bit biased though, we're all ski addicts grin.

Good luck with 'happy week' (as our quest for conception turned into)

Artandco Mon 07-Nov-16 18:39:26

Yes I would book. Most ski holidays you haven't actually paid for lift pass and ski hire until you arrive so it's only flights and accomadation. Book somewhere that has other stuff also, so if you do feel you can't ski then you can still have a lovely holiday.

I was 6 months pregnant on a booked trip. Didn't ski as didn't feel confident or safe enough, but went with 7 others including Dh and family. Had a lovely week still mooching around local shops in village, sitting in sun on ski slopes with non alcoholic mulled wine watching people, went up in gondolas to meet people at lunch, snow shoe walking, horse sled rides, nice meals out. Also the spa onsite had a variety of pregnancy friendly massages ie head and shoulder sitting up, foot massage and pedicure, manicure, swimming pool etc. As there was a group of us also there was often at least one person who didn't want to ski one afternoon or morning for whatever reason

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 07-Nov-16 18:42:00

Ttc wasn't going to well, so we went skiing with a big group in January of that year. I drank pints of wine, fell over a lot, and almost got knocked out by a toboggan...

Then I got home and realised I was two months pregnant.

(She's six and perfectly fine grin)

Enb76 Mon 07-Nov-16 18:42:33

I went skiing at 3 months gone. Admittedly I didn't know I was pregnant so smoked and drank and had a fabulous time. My 8 year old now comes skiing with me.

eternalopt Mon 07-Nov-16 18:43:32

I went skiing with a friend who was pregnant. Bloody terrifying! She was very "oh, it's ok, I'm an excellent skier" about it, but that doesn't account for everyone else on the slopes. You can get taken out by someone else anywhere. By the end of the week, she was staying in, as she saw someone get taken out by a snowboarder out of control on a nursery slope and I think she realised she'd been a bit daft being super casual about it.

Skilover Tue 08-Nov-16 16:31:53

It has to be up to you whether you ski or not. There are always 2, if not a million different sides to everyone's story however some websites offer a free cancellation on apartments/hotels up to about a month before you plan to travel so you could book and then cancel if you wished to with minor cost implications? And good luck OP.

kittykarate Wed 09-Nov-16 11:31:11

I'd make sure the holiday had a good cancellation policy, or that the place you were going to had some good plan B options in case you don't fancy skiing for whatever reason. So I guess somewhere where you could easily take a day trip to another place by yourself, accommodation that you wouldn't mind hanging around in during the day etc.

willconcern Wed 09-Nov-16 11:34:34

I went skiing when I was 4 months pg. I didn't ski, but spent a lot of time sleeping, wandering around town, going up in the gondola for a long lunch with (now ex) DH, swimming in the day when the pool was empty. It wasn't as fun as skiing is normally, but I was v tired and still sick, so it was just a relaxing week off. We didn't go catered chalet that time, so it wasn't too expensive either.

ruthieruthuk Sun 04-Dec-16 22:48:45

No, i found out i was pregnant on holiday skiing on the next to last day and i didn't ski again, we had been TTC for 2yrs so it was a shock when i found out i was pregnant as i was diagnosed with fertility issues, if your nervous of falling while pregnant u may fall more, its not just falling u have to consider someone could ski into u by mistake, learners, over confident skiers that have been drinking, etc... You could always look for a resort with plenty apres ski activities that way if you don't want to ski they'll be other stuff you can do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now