Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Bulgarian ski resorts....

(13 Posts)
Chewingthecrud Mon 24-Oct-16 21:50:24

Family skiing
Don't want to go to France

Wondering about Bulgaria?

Ideal resort has cross country skiiing,good beginners slops not fussed about black runs.
Hotel not chalet.
Few non ski things to do.

Really important is short easy transfer to resort as kids don't travel well in car or coach.

Hit me with it mumsnet skiers.

Skilover Tue 25-Oct-16 17:36:01

I have only been to Bansko in Bulgaria and from memory it was a minimum 2 hour transfer from Sofia. Last year we flew to Innsbruck and went to Ortesei in the Val Gardena which was fabulous, a beautiful town with great skiing in the Sella Ronda. Would highly recommend.

PacificDogwod Tue 25-Oct-16 17:37:55

Oooh, I'd love to know too!
Shamelessly lurking - hope you don't mind thanks

idontlikealdi Tue 25-Oct-16 17:40:18

I went to Banako 8 years ago and unless it has massively improved I wouldn't go there again. Food was atrocious, lift queues were horrendous, not much o do apart from ski.

On the plus side it was cheap, transfer was about an hour and a half.

BumbleNova Tue 25-Oct-16 17:41:49

what about Austria?

BumbleNova Tue 25-Oct-16 17:42:24

oops posted too soon... reasonable prices, very atmospheric, slopes close to Salzburg airport.

Chapsy Tue 25-Oct-16 22:41:55

Hated it. Sorry. Worst ski trip ever.

Chewingthecrud Wed 26-Oct-16 20:58:47

Oh dear two terribles!

Ok so loads more ideas pls I'm absolutely clueless!

Short transfer
Beginner friendly
Plenty to do including cross country
Self catering or hotel

bigfriendlygiant Wed 26-Oct-16 21:00:20

Went to Borovets about 10 years ago and it was terrible. Had a slightly dangerous feel to it.

Chewingthecrud Thu 27-Oct-16 11:55:14

Am glad I asked now!

SwearyGodmother Sat 29-Oct-16 19:50:04

Go to Austria. There will be plenty of resorts that ar family friendly and very close to airports with lots of langlauf. We did Bansko a couple of times and whilst it was ok the first year the second was so busy and the queues were horrendous - and this was low season.

Lots of resorts in Austria are less than an hour transfer, and if your children travel ok on trains then look at travelling yourself rather than doing package - we took ourselves to St Anton last year from Innsbruck and it was so easy. A quick bus from airport to station and then a direct train to St Anton. It was cheaper than going package too.

rainbowjoy Sun 30-Oct-16 16:11:06

First family ski holiday to Borovets about 10 years ago so knew no better. Would never go again or recommend it. Poor snow, poor hotel, poor food. Ds6 at time got a sickness bug. First time on skis and took right to top of beginners slope far to steep to learn on. Very seedy place.
Spend your money elsewhere, Austria, Italy

kittykarate Wed 02-Nov-16 21:04:06

Seefeld in Austria has a ton of cross country and is only a 30 to 45 minute transfer from Innsbruck, and is on the train line from Munich. It has some downhill, but it's not their main business.

Only downside is they did struggle for snow this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now