Question about Morzine/Avoriaz

(5 Posts)
YetAnotherElsa Tue 18-Oct-16 15:35:03

Hoping to get some advice. DH and I both very experienced skiers but we will be taking DS who will be 2.5 next Easter. Have been offered a place in a chalet in Les Prodains area of Morzine with friends. The chalet itself looks fine but I'm trying to find out about the location and skiing, particularly late season.

Is it a good location/high enough altitude for April? Is it a pain having to get the bus into Morzine or the gondola to Avoriaz? Is there anything actually within walking distance of Les Prodains for a very active 2.5yr old? Anything else to help us decide?

Thanks in advance!

SimplyMorzine Wed 19-Oct-16 14:41:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

massistar Thu 20-Oct-16 14:55:52

There isn't much at all in Les Prodains but at that time of year you'd be better off skiing in Avoriaz rather than Morzine as it's much higher. That gondola is great and you can ski right back to the bottom of it.

rosyvalentine Thu 20-Oct-16 15:33:28

I've skiied this area at Easter for the past few years and have been going there for about 20 years on and off. I've never had an issue with snow in Avoriaz late in the season, so as long as you plan to ski there and not in Morzine, you will be fine.

Les Prodains itself is really little more than a ski station and a newish gondola offers fast access from there to Avoriaz. However, you will need to go to Morzine for restaurants, shops etc. The gondola stops running about 6pm. There is a free ski bus bus that runs from Les Prodains to Morzine until the lifts close but you would need a car to get there at night for example (unless there are buses at night but I don't think so).

There are snow gardens for kids in both Morzine and Avoriaz and a good drop-in crèche in Morzine that I have used myself in the past.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions. The skiing in Avoriaz is fab btw, especially for Intermediate/Advanced skiers smile

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 28-Oct-16 09:24:42

Easier to get to Avoriaz than Morzine. The Prodains lift runs until 9pm and later at weekends. Avoriaz has an ice skating rink, Aquariaz indoor water park, horse drawn sledges and an igloo to visit (on piste so you will have to ski to get there which might be a bit much for a 2.5 year old but probably achievable if you ski with him between your legs) so plenty to keep him busy. April is late and the snow conditions will depend on how the season has gone. We skied a few times in April last year, it rained, was foggy and the areas lower than Avoriaz were slushy and slow. Above Avoriaz was OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now