Talk

Advanced search

Long weekend skiing?

(13 Posts)
reallyneedmoresleep Sat 01-Oct-16 23:16:24

Last year I missed our family skiing holiday due to a broken leg.
DH suggested we go away in January 2017 for a sneaky long weekend without the kids but I've no idea where to start looking!
We enjoy skiing but aren't brilliant and don't need exciting apres-ski. Any ideas?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 02-Oct-16 19:01:49

Courmayeur is nice for a long weekend.
Chamonix has lots of short stay options too.

magimedi Sun 02-Oct-16 20:20:31

I am about to send you a pm. I know of a great outfit for w/e but am related to it so don't want to post for all to see!

eurochick Sun 02-Oct-16 20:27:22

Champ is via Geneva airport is easy for a weekend.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 02-Oct-16 21:35:01

We want to Chalet Bry in Les Carroz for a short break last year. They were excellent and had us in the slopes by 12 noon on our first day. There's plenty of flights into Geneva and the transfer is only about an hour.

Their website here isn't much to look at but they were very helpful via email and on the phone.

BuggertheTabloids Sun 02-Oct-16 21:49:03

Chamonix is great for a long weekend as only just over an hour from Geneva. Either stay in Chamonix town itself or could stay in Argentiere (though limited evening/dinner options there). Either way there are several ski areas linked by bus, there is lots to do! Enjoy it wherever you go smile

rookiemere Sun 02-Oct-16 21:50:31

Or Samoens or Morillion both easily reached from Geneva with regular shuttle bus services.

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 04-Oct-16 09:52:12

Geneva offers easy access to La Clusaz, Les Gets / Morzine / Avoriaz as well as those mentioned above.

Zurich is about 2 hours from Flims / Laax.

Chalets direct.com solutions room is a good place to get catered options. January is a good time as not super busy and lots of catered chalets are happy to fill spare rooms over the weekend.

citykat Tue 04-Oct-16 11:34:37

Sauze D'oulx is good too, short transfers. Courmayer is good but gets very busy on Saturday as all the Milanese arrive. Chamonix big enough to absorb weekenders.

trixymalixy Tue 04-Oct-16 11:43:24

we did a long weekend in Chamonix for my DH's 40th. it was fab, I can highly recommend the heliopic.

CaurnieBred Fri 07-Oct-16 10:15:59

We went to Garmish Partenkirchen in Germany for a long weekend - flew to Munich and hired a car. It was lovely and chilled and so easy to drive and park at the lifts

witchmountain Mon 10-Oct-16 12:07:34

If you haven't booked already then I've previously used skiweekender.com who were brilliant and have chalets in locations that are a short transfer from Geneva. I've also just booked something via muchbetteradventures.com which has a good search that allows you to look for long weekends. Agree with resorts mentioned above for short transfer times.

reallyneedmoresleep Mon 17-Oct-16 07:17:19

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. Some great ideas here - just need to convince the in-laws to look after the kids for 4 nights as it seems really difficult to get just 3...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now