Talk

Advanced search

Motor home and skiing ?

(8 Posts)
uhoh1973 Thu 28-Jul-16 23:14:35

Dh is trying to persuade me to buy motor home / campervan. Part of his latest argument is we can use it for skiing too...

Has anyone any experience of taking a campervan to e.g. the 3 valleys in the winter and using it as a ski base for a family?

Any experience of using french daycare at the resorts? Would they take our 6 year old? They could also have ski lessons...

Any experience or suggestions?

massistar Mon 01-Aug-16 10:41:11

We have friends who've done this at Easter when it's warmer. Don't think I'd fancy it in colder months!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 02-Aug-16 21:29:45

My mums best friend used to take her 4DC in a camper skiing every year.

Why would a 6 year old need daycare?... Ski lesson AM, ski together PM. My DD could ski a full day at 6.

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 03-Aug-16 22:16:30

Would you have enough space to store and dry all of your kit each night?

Late season skiing might be doable when it's milder but not sure I'd fancy it in the coldest months.

Ktay Sat 06-Aug-16 17:25:28

We did it in half term week once pre DC. The queue for a lovely warm shower every afternoon was much too long for my liking. Not sure I'd fancy doing it with children too. But the location was great - right opposite the lift in samoens.

Ktay Sat 06-Aug-16 17:25:53

We did it in half term week once pre DC. The queue for a lovely warm shower every afternoon was much too long for my liking. Not sure I'd fancy doing it with children too. But the location was great - right opposite the lift in Samoëns.

Ktay Sat 06-Aug-16 17:27:37

Ergh sorry for the double post. I believe there's a campsite somewhere ( st anton maybe?) with ensuite shower blocks.

grannycake Sat 06-Aug-16 17:31:38

Some motor homes are designed to be used in cold weather - mostly German makes. These can quite snug as they are double lined and super insulated. Others would struggle with below freezing temps with water and gas being likely to fail. It is possible and enjoyable but you need to research your model very carefully

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now