Talk

Advanced search

Good ski hotel for families - can anyone help?

(20 Posts)
cafealoha Mon 27-Jun-16 17:24:15

Could anyone help with a suggestion for a Feb half term ski trip with kids (8 & 6).

I wanted to book the Hotel Le Savoie in Val d'Isere with Esprit but they are fully booked - have left it too late!

I am after a hotel that isn't really basic with decent food and ideally a pool. I'm not a massive fan of very basic accommodation.
Have considered a chalet but my older daughter is a painfully fussy eater so I need somewhere where there is a choice of food.
Also, a decent ski school for the kids would be an advantage.
Especially interested in anyone with experience of Switzerland because I just can't seem to nail down the right resort in France.
Budget of around £6-7k

Thethingswedoforlove Mon 27-Jun-16 17:26:39

A good chalet host will accommodate a dcs food requests eg so plain pasta each day or whatever.....

Tinklypoo Mon 27-Jun-16 17:34:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Artandco Mon 27-Jun-16 17:34:35

Look at Austria kinder hotels

LIZS Mon 27-Jun-16 17:37:28

Try myswitzerland.com under Family. What is your budget as few will have a pool onsite but might in the resort (ie Saas Fee and Engelberg)

cafealoha Mon 27-Jun-16 18:35:07

Will look at Terra Nova in La Plagne. Thank you for the recommendation. Any others also very welcome!!

LIZS Mon 27-Jun-16 20:16:54

Try Powder Byrne for ideas http://www.powderbyrne.com/ski/luxury-ski-holidays . Have also heard positive things about Ferienart in Saas Fee and Christiania in Zermatt although Swiss skischool in peak weeks can be manic if half term/ski week correspond.

LIZS Mon 27-Jun-16 20:18:35

Also have a look at the Sunstar chain in Swiss resorts. We've had good experiences in a number, some have pools and also family rooms.

lovetoskimum Tue 28-Jun-16 14:01:37

Hotel Sonnschein in Niederau Austria, is very nice, run by a lady called Jill (from Birmingham) Nice family rooms, 2 pools, good food, great ski area for kids to learn, my daughter learnt to ski there, we did 4 years in a row, crystal do package deals,

Now we drive and self cater ski in out apartment in France, any questions just ask smile Happy booking smile

Skilover Tue 28-Jun-16 15:25:56

Check out Arc 1950 in France too for great self-catering apartments, we went last year with a 7 and 5 year old and it is perfect. There are board options for a couple of local restaurants or there is a supermarket/take out pizza etc. smile

Skilover Tue 28-Jun-16 15:27:38

Definitely no pool at the Terra Nova though....

Tinklypoo Tue 28-Jun-16 15:31:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boobyooby Tue 28-Jun-16 15:31:23

Vengen with club med has been recommended to us several times this year (we fancy a change from France for next ski trip)

minijoeyjojo Tue 28-Jun-16 15:43:31

We stayed at L'Amara in Avoriaz. It's self catered but do a lunch and I think dinner option - or you could cook and it makes it easy for a fussy eater!

It was fab, brilliant ski in ski out skiing, loads of things to do in the town. Massively child friendly resort. Definitely an up market place - we usually do fairly high end chalet holidays but this was our first with our DD and we very much enjoyed it.

Alternatively, look at Les Gets for family chalets. There are tons and it's a good location for children. It's not quite as accessible for the whole portes du soleil but still a fab place and Mont Chery is lovely and quiet all the time smile

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-Jun-16 15:52:18

Was also going to say Terra Nova in Tignes grin
I also think this one looks good in Les Arcs but I have not stayed here (does have a pool) - £4.8K for half term

lovetoskimum Tue 28-Jun-16 15:53:52

Agree with you Tinkly, Neiderau quite limited for Adults.

I am on it with Skilover, Les Arcs all the way for us now, great place, lovely runs, bars, places to eat, ski school, etc etc, yay 11th March 17 !!

lovetoskimum Tue 28-Jun-16 16:06:02

Ann, that looks nice, Arc 2000 is cheaper than 1950 but you can use both villages due to the lift that runs until 11pm, we hired a nanny one evening and found a very lovely champagne bar in 1950, already ear marked for next March !! Happy booking everyone smile

cafealoha Tue 28-Jun-16 17:15:45

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I looked at quite a few but in the end I decided on & booked Clubmed in Valmorel. I just need a non-headache type holiday for the kids first ski trip and I love the idea of everything being included. So Valmorel here we come!

Thanks again ladies!

boobyooby Tue 28-Jun-16 19:11:00

Valmorel was the children's first ever ski holiday, quite a few years ago now but they got a good feel for it and have never looked back smile

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 28-Jun-16 19:33:18

The Esprit one in courchevel is a fab piste side location.

Not a hotel but their chalets in Plan Peisey are also a good location, no pool but a hot tub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now