Resort for a non skiing DH to enjoy

(14 Posts)
taptonaria27 Tue 08-Mar-16 08:51:34

My DH is adamant that he doesn't want to ski, won't even try it, but finally he is thawing to the idea of coming with DC and I and entertaining himself during the day,
He would swim, walk (maybe), toboggan and watch sky sports, he'd love the pares ski, lunches, chalet catering etc just won't strap a pair of skis on.
Does anyone have any recommendations of where would be good to go (next Feb) please?
I am thinking maybe Morizine or Courchevel as I so familiar with both of these and Courchevel has a huge new swimming place.
Has anyone does this with their DH and him have a great time? I love to ski, I want the kids to love it and dream of it being an annual trip but obviously DH has to have a great week for that to happen.
I do a short break with a girlfriend where we ski a lot for 4.5 days so I accept that between DH and kids ski schools (they'll be 9 & 12) I will have my time on the slopes reduced but I'd love to do it anyway.

Skilover Tue 08-Mar-16 14:32:21

Several resorts have great pools - as well as Courchevel and Morzine, Val Thorens, Val d'Isere and the new Mille 8 @ Arc 1800 all do. Have you thought about Chamonix though as it is a real town with a cinema etc showing films in English. He could go up the Mer de Glace one day, the Aiguille du Midi another and if you had a car he could even take himself down to Annecy for the day? Or you could stay somewhere like Vallorcine and he could get the train in and out of Chamonix?

taptonaria27 Wed 09-Mar-16 08:59:23

Skilover, some brilliant suggestions there thank you, I'll start investigating.

Ragusa Wed 09-Mar-16 17:50:03

You could also think about somewhere like Davos/ Klosters, Arosa, Zermatt and Saas Fee in Switzerland. The Swiss do all-round winter holidays better than any country, I think, and have the massive bonus of brilliant transport systems both for skiers and non. However, they're generally expensive places. A cheaper option may be somewhere like Saalbach Hinterglemm in Austria.

Val D'isere or Chamonix would be good I agree but do bear in mind that they are not brilliant places to take beginners (if your children are.... and not good places to tempt your husband onto the slopes) IMO.

blindsider Fri 18-Mar-16 12:31:31

The best advice would be for him not to go- there really is precious little to do in Ski resorts if you don't ski.

FadedRed Fri 18-Mar-16 12:46:00

Add Grindelwald/Wengen in the Bernese Oberland to Ragusa's suggestions. Lovely area, lots of mixed walking/toboggan paths which DH could meet up with the skiers for lunch, trips to Jungfraujoch and Piz Gloria, lovely hotels with swimming pools, also big sports centres in Grindelwald and Murren with swimming pool and spa facilities, curling, opportunities for 'wine and food walks' in Grindelwald and Wengen and some other historical events and activities (village history, climbing, ice climbing etc). Great transport, walker/sledger transport pass available.
Yes, Switzerland is expensive, although I think some parts of France aren't IMO much cheaper, but there is lots of choice and a non skier can have a great holiday alongside skiers.

IseeSwansea Fri 18-Mar-16 12:46:29

As the non skier in a family who love it, I totally understand where your DH is coming from.

My DH, in fairness, did loads of research before a family ski holiday; we went to Courchevel where I did snow shoe walking in an organised group. It was absolutely fabulous, we went off to the national parks around the area, the scenery was stunning and the walks were moderately challenging. They were very well organised with terrific guides. A mix of people in the group so always interesting. The walks were generally half a day. The company organising them were based in Courchevel 1850, I'm sure a quick google search would find them.

I've recently returned from a weekend in Zermatt...... As a pp said, it's extremely well organised in the region. Loads of walks to do alone if that's preferred. I did one organised walk whilst there, but in my opinion, it was not as good as Courchevel.

Tiredemma Fri 18-Mar-16 12:53:10

Kaprun

Ragusa Fri 18-Mar-16 20:17:40

I really don't agree that the best thing is always for a non-skier to stay at home confused. Things I've done as a non-skier include:

Gone in a cable car to 3850m - amazing
Winter walks
Snowshoeing
Skating
Eaten body weight in cake
Soaked in hot tubs surrounded by snow + lovely massages
Tobogganing, including by torchlight
Museums, shopping and art galleries
Go-ape type activities
Sunbathed while reading lovely books surrounded by lovely snowcapped peaks
It's only the high altitude, predominantly French megaresorts that are rubbish for non-skiers and even then not all fall into that category: Chamonix, Val D, and alpe d'huez have plenty to do for non skiers.

Tiredemma Sat 19-Mar-16 08:22:44

Ill hold my hands up here and admit that I dont enjoy skiing very much but will go along because everyone else 'loves' it.

I have also enjoyed just mooching around, walking, eating and drinking.

Plenty to do if you are someone that can entertain yourself for a few hours

blindsider Mon 21-Mar-16 08:37:19

You guys clearly have a higher boredom threshold than me, if I didn't ski being in a ski resort would be torture.

Ragusa Mon 21-Mar-16 12:04:00

Nope, I have a very low boredom threshold. You do not need to be bored, it just needs care picking the right resort. There is too much lazy defaulting to the french megamountains by Brits.

blindsider Mon 21-Mar-16 13:20:08

Ragusa

Fair enough but most of what you have suggested will fill a couple of hours of the day, besides if you can snow shoe walk and skate can't see why you don't just get on and ski...

As for cake guzzling Galleries and Museums etc. rusty spoon, eyes you know the drill grin

almostthirty Mon 21-Mar-16 13:23:42

Pila in Italy has a cable car down to the town which is great to explore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now