Canada skiing Xmas 2016

(11 Posts)
makemineasnowball Sat 05-Mar-16 07:29:38

DH really wants to spend next Xmas/NY skiing in Canada. DCs will be 11 & 9.

Wondering if any one else has done this with kids and if so where, costs etc.
What's is like spending Xmas day there??

DH and I went on our own pre- DCs (Banff) and although we had a great time my overriding memory was the bone-numbing cold and horrible jet lag confused

Skilover Mon 07-Mar-16 10:25:30

Not been with kids but have you thought about going to Mont Tremblant as the flight is shorter and jet lag less?

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Tue 08-Mar-16 20:44:32

Mont Tremblant is fab!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 09-Mar-16 19:34:09

We are going to whistler this Xmas. We had Xmas this year skiing in Finland and it was so great, we're going away again. I love being in the snow and not cooking a bloody turkey!

It is a great way to spend time together and our kids loved it. I took very few presents as skiing was their present. Both were happy. I can't say whistler is cheap at that time, passes, flights, kit and hotels are quite pricey at that time, but it's the best skiing in the world IMO.

SparklesandBangs Wed 09-Mar-16 19:47:19

I have only been skiing once at New Year, to Banff and it was so cold that it was unpleasant. The rest of the time we have been in Feb/March. We stayed at the Faimont with a spa so it was fantastic if pricey.

I really liked Whistler, the set up with the pedestrian village was great, but I think it will be expensive.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 11-Mar-16 20:50:59

For whistler we've spent £2650 flights, £2850 (but hopefully the C$ will slide a bit) on accommodation. We are there for 13 nights. Another £500+ each for passes, plus kit, food, lessons, transfers. It's not a cheap option

Whistler is usually warmer than Banff as it gets the warm winds from the ocean (apparently)

snowgirl1 Mon 21-Mar-16 12:47:48

We ski at Christmas every year now and found staying at home for Christmas when I was heavily pregnant dull and boring by comparison! The resorts usually do something special (fireworks, parades etc.) at Christmas/NY. I find skiing in North America challenging because of the jet lag, but at least it works slightly in your favour in that you're awake bright and early ready to go skiing first lift - but ready for bed at 8pm! We've been skiing in Europe for the last few years due to DD (now 4) but I'm considering North America for this Christmas, funds permitting!

mzmum78 Fri 06-May-16 03:49:49

Mont tremblant is great!

Out2pasture Fri 06-May-16 04:09:42

I'm in Kamloops so partial to sun peaks smile

Aftershock15 Tue 10-May-16 22:44:40

Look at Big White - it's great for families. We've spent the last 4 Christmas holidays there. Everywhere ski in / out, masses of powder, the ski school is really good. Downside is the journey as there aren't direct flights to Kelowna, but it's worth it when you get there.

Tremblant is easy to get to, and I agree very pretty, but the snow just isn't as good. Anywhere that has lots of snow canons has them for a reason.

BiddyPop Wed 20-Jul-16 15:09:43

We will be staying "down home" in southern Ireland over Christmas but contemplating going over to Calgary for Feb midterm.

Any recommendations for 3-4 days on the slopes while we are there?

(It would be visiting my DB for a few days and a few days skiing).

We did a week in Rauris, Austria last year (2015) which was great for beginners and a nice small alpine family resort.

We've been to Calgary, Canmore, passed through Banff and stayed in Radium a couple of summers ago - we weren't looking to go that far over in the winter for only a week. But somewhere around Canmore or Banff would be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now