Talk

Advanced search

what is there to do for a non skiier?

(33 Posts)
Flappingandflying Sun 21-Feb-16 17:14:50

So DS2 has come back from the school skiing trip having loved it. Neither husband or I ski and think it unlikely we will start. Ds1 has been on ski trip previously so is a rookie but would give it a go. If we were thinking about next year or in the future, what is there to do for non skiiers? It's possibly something they could go and do together in the future but perhaps the first time on a non organised school type trip, one of us should go too.

bigTillyMint Sun 21-Feb-16 17:19:10

It depends on the resort you go to. The bigger ones usually have ice-rinks and swimming pools and some even have spa's. We go to a little French place that doesn't have any of those, but is very picturesque and has lots of walking routes which many of the bigger ones don't.

TBH, I wouldn't bother if neither you nor your DH are interested in learning - it can be very expensive for even just the package, never mind ski hire and lift pass on top.

SanityClause Sun 21-Feb-16 17:20:16

There really isn't much to do for a non skier, in most ski resorts. There is usually some limited shopping, a lot of it revolving around ski wear. (There are usually some nice delis, too.)

There is sometimes the option to do dog sledding or ice skating, and some hotels and apartment blocks have indoor swimming pools, but that won't last you a week.

Why don't you have a go at skiing? It's a lot of fun.

madwomanbackintheattic Sun 21-Feb-16 17:22:01

Just learn to ski.
Up until last year, mil wanted to learn to snowboard. She's 73.

FunkyPeacock Sun 21-Feb-16 17:22:45

If neither you nor DH intend to have a go at skiing yourself then it makes more sense for the DSs to stick with school trips

Ski trips in school hols are very expensive so if you have no intention of skiing it seems a bit pointless

There is nothing to stop your learning as adults though and you might find you love it - it's never too late to have go!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 21-Feb-16 17:23:03

Not an awful lot in my experience.

Dog sledding, snow shoe walking, maybe an ice rink or a pool in bigger resorts. Ski resorts are generally very expensive for eating and activities. Would be an expensive holiday for something you're not very interested in.

As a family of 3 we don't tend to see much change out of 3k. And that's driving down, renting an apartment and self catering in the evening.

madwomanbackintheattic Sun 21-Feb-16 17:24:10

My dad tried for the first time at 52. grin The only reason he never went again was that my mum HATED it. She tried for the first time at the same point, but just wasn't brave enough to give it a proper go. My dad LOVED it.

Alwayshavepeckham Sun 21-Feb-16 17:24:33

It's a lot of money to spend on a holiday if you don't ski.
Would you like to learn? You & DH could have a lot of fun learning together. You wouldn't need to go to a ritzy resort.

allegretto Sun 21-Feb-16 17:26:25

Ds loves to go and I don't ski so we stay in resorts that have plenty to do - I love walking and snowshoeing, relaxing in hotel spas and eating grin

blueemerald Sun 21-Feb-16 17:26:27

There are loads of things, as mentioned by previous posters. I just wanted to add that my severely dyspraxic and slightly over weight (sorry mum!) mum first went skiing when she was in her late 50s and loves it. She takes it very easy and does a lot of chilling in mountain top cafes too but it is an amazing sport.

SunnySomer Sun 21-Feb-16 17:27:27

I'm on a family ski holiday at the moment and have just realised that I'm less keen on downhill skiing than I used to be 😰.
Other things I have done: snow shoeing (racettes), walking up the mountain instead of taking the lift (best cardio workout I've had in ages), drink lots of coffee, read several novels. In some resorts you can skate or swim or spa.... There can be plenty to do depending where you go

mudandmayhem01 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:27:42

If you are aerobically fit cross country skiing is a lot easier to learn, cheaper and less likely to break bones. Its good fun in a hiking sort of way rather than extreme sport.

Tokelau Sun 21-Feb-16 17:28:09

Why not try it? I don't mean book a holiday, but go to a snow dome and give it a try. If you like it, a ski holiday can be as energetic or as slow and relaxing as you like. My aunt came with us a few years ago, and she was in her sixties. She took it slowly, but did really well and had a great time.

I went with the school when I was fourteen. I was not particularly sporty, but I really took to skiing. I still love it and am in my forties and overweight! It's the best thing in the world, honestly, it's really worth trying.

If you don't like it, I wouldn't recommend going to be honest. It's an expensive holiday if you don't ski.

Ragwort Sun 21-Feb-16 17:29:25

Not a lot - my DH & DS love skiing but I don't like it at all - yes, I have tried. I am more than happy for them to go away without me but sometimes they want me to come too ........... DH bought a time share in a ski resort grin - with my blessing of course. I tend to use the time to relax, read, go to the gym, eat too much ............ but I would be very happy just staying at home. It is a very exensive trip for a non-skier.

allegretto Sun 21-Feb-16 17:33:15

If you are aerobically fit cross country skiing is a lot easier to learn, cheaper and less likely to break bones.

You can though! I have a permanent disability from it hence my preference for not skiing ever again!

blueemerald Sun 21-Feb-16 18:07:12

My mum also loves/loved (we started skiing when her youngest child was 15 and he is now 27 so she has been skiing for a while in "later life") reading, taking in the view, cross stitch, sketching, chatting to locals and other tourists, trying amazing cheese as well as all the tourist things like husky sleds etc.

Flappingandflying Sun 21-Feb-16 18:16:10

Thank you so much. I would give skiing a go but have brittle bones so have more of a tendency to break so am playing safe. It's for that reason I haven't ridden a horse since damaging myself permanently aged 20 when the Roman's were in Britaingringrin

I love mountain regions in summer and would love to see them in winter. On another thread, someone mentions a center parcs in Germany so that might be an option? Alternatively my eldest, who has ASD could go on a disabled, group supported group. He'd only ever need the support once and then after that he'd be fine to go with DS2.

allegretto Sun 21-Feb-16 18:19:09

Another thing we do is tend to go to resorts which are not ski resorts but have good links (e.g. a ski bus) to take you up to the pistes - that way I can stay in the (hopefully snow-free) area and DS can ski!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 21-Feb-16 18:20:24

If you like walking then some resorts have nice walking trails.

I don't think any of the CentreParcs will be near ski resorts, might be wrong but generally ski resorts are quite a drive up to the mountains which would seem a long way out for a CP.

BoboChic Sun 21-Feb-16 18:21:36

There are lots of residential ski camps for DC whose parents don't or can't ski.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 21-Feb-16 18:21:36

You could always have a long weekend at Avimore. I learnt to snowboard there and yes it's a lot smaller than a french or german resort but it's good enough for a few days especially for a beginner.

Ktay Sun 21-Feb-16 18:28:54

You could try and choose a resort that lends itself to a day trip somewhere interesting - Salzburg/Annecy/Interlaken (admittedly not mega interesting)/Munich spring to mind. If you avoid the purpose-built resorts in favour of those with a bit of character that might work out better.

foxessocks Sun 21-Feb-16 18:31:36

My mum always came with us on our family ski holidays despite not skiing (she gave up after a bad fall). She enjoys reading books in the cosy apartment, going for scenic walks, going up in the gondola and meeting us for lunch. We have also done skidooing and a high ropes course thing in Canada.

I'd love to go next year with my family and I'll have a baby and a toddler so antipicate not a lot of skiing will happen for me! But it's a lovely place to chill out and relax.

It would be worth you having a little go at skiing though if you've never tried?Take some beginners lessons and just see how you feel about it then.

foxessocks Sun 21-Feb-16 18:34:25

Apologies I hadn't read about the reason why you don't want to try skiing. But if you love mountain regions in summer then why not see them in the winter? It's beautiful

wonkylegs Sun 21-Feb-16 18:55:12

It is an expensive holiday choice if you aren't going to ski. I am the non skier in the family but I'm the only one. It probably depends on the resort but I've always been able to swim, go to the spa, enjoy the food, I get through a lot of books though too and go for walks. I tend to meet up with the skiers for lunch and dinner. Some years I've had smaller members of the party to look after too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now