Talk

Advanced search

Experienced Europe drivers please! Crossing border into Switzerland from France

(4 Posts)
WelshMoth Thu 11-Feb-16 11:45:05

My route this half-term to the Alps is going to take me into Switzerland for the end part of my journey. I've read somewhere that I need to include something for Swiss road tax.

I think I cross the border somewhere near Jougne and I'll be in Switzerland until I cross back into France to Chatel through the Alps. It's about 70 miles. What should I consider if I'm taking this route.

Also posted on Chat board.

PatriciaHolm Thu 11-Feb-16 12:34:28

Driving on Swiss motorways requires you to buy a Vignette, a pass you must stick to the windscreen (and never be able to peel off again in our experience!). You can buy it at the crossing - it costs about CHF 40, which is about 30 UKP. You will get fined without it (up to 200 CHF).

Technically radar (so speed) detectors are also illegal, even if not in use, so check your satnav. You'd be unlucky to be caught, but the Swiss don't give any leeway if you do.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Fri 12-Feb-16 20:43:33

Agree bout the unpeelable vignette - still have ours from 3 years ago. I was worried about this having fallen foul fo Swiss police many years ago, but now is fine - buy at the border.
If you have a TomTom satnav they disable the illegal cameras so no prob. However, if you have old paper maps in the car that show cameras they could in theory fine you , so ditch them.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Fri 12-Feb-16 20:47:34

I drive a lot in for'n parts btw and find the police unfailingly nice and helpful. Got lost on the outskirts of Prague recently and a lovely policeman told me to follow his police car shock - showed me a short cut. Another occasion an off-duty gendarme stopped and helped me put on snow chains. if you are polite and friendly - like everywhere, so are they...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now