Talk

Advanced search

Anyone driving this weekend?

(14 Posts)
MrsGuyOfGisbo Tue 09-Feb-16 13:36:01

Looking at the forecast and thinking will need the chains - aaaaargh!

clam Tue 09-Feb-16 21:39:36

Looks like it. We were just saying earlier that we're glad we're not hiring a car this year but getting the navettes blanches from the airport, so it will be someone else's problem.

Where are you going to? Don't forget, the forecast can change, even at this stage. "Our" resort has gone from a forecast of 12cm on Saturday, to zero with brilliant sunshine, back up to 12cm again.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Wed 10-Feb-16 08:58:20

Indeed!
I was spooked by the bergfex forecasts, which seem to be those favoured on snowheads - but we have always found the weather.com ones accurate - and looking at the over-estimation bergfex have put re snow on the last few days based on what actually fell, am now ignoring that and just obsessively checking weather.com.

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 10-Feb-16 10:54:00

Do bring the chains though!! It only takes a localised shower on a mountain road to bring things to a halt which allows the snow to settle and necessitate chains. The forecast does keep changing but there will be snow which is what we want after all!!

MrsGuyOfGisbo Wed 10-Feb-16 13:37:29

Never would go without 'em! Just would prefer not to have to use them.

clam Wed 10-Feb-16 13:41:41

I use j2ski for forecasts. Reasonably accurate, although as we've said, mountain weather is pretty dynamic and can change quickly.

But you're no rookie, MrsGuy. I've seen you knocking about on these skiing threads for years. Bet you could put snowchains on with one hand tied behind your back (which, let's face it, is what we all might have as much of a chance of success with. They're bastards to put on, even when practising in the safety and comfort of your own driveway at home in the sunshine, let alone in the dark in a blizzard on a mountain pass).

MrsGuyOfGisbo Wed 10-Feb-16 13:54:30

Why, thank you Clam grin

Radiatorvalves Fri 12-Feb-16 22:22:58

Clam - are you going to Risoul? The road is totally blocked at the mo. They are doing emergency accomm in Guillestre. Hope that things improve...the pistes will be amazing!

clam Fri 12-Feb-16 23:30:26

shock No, we're going to Vars. Is it closed due to heavy snow, or some kind of blockage? Will check.
Not going up until late afternoon tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Radiatorvalves Sun 14-Feb-16 20:00:16

Did you get there? The Vars road is usually better than Risoul...but the snow sounded very heavy. I bet it's amazing now... It was pants at Xmas. 😩

MrsGuyOfGisbo Mon 15-Feb-16 07:13:04

In Mottaret -roads were fine- parking a nightmare - snow is excellent.

clam Mon 15-Feb-16 13:08:49

Got up here OK. Needed chains for last km or so.
Fabulous snow all round. Perfect sunshine today too. Making the most of it.
grin

Trickydecision Mon 15-Feb-16 13:25:01

Have a superb time, Clam.

Radiatorvalves Mon 15-Feb-16 16:28:45

It looks amazing and the forecast is great this week. I'm just living it vicariously, via webcams and thinking of all my friends who are skiing this week.

Have fun and enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now