Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Glasses wearing skiers - what do you do?

(8 Posts)
YorkshireTeaDrinker Sat 06-Feb-16 19:21:12

I am a short-sighted glasses wearer with a fairly strong prescription (+7.00). Last year, for our first ski trip in a couple of decades, I wore by regular glasses (with transitions lenses) under a cheap pair of goggles. I managed ok, but got steamed up a few times and really struggled when sitting in mountain cafes in strong sunshine, as my transitions lens and small frames weren't adequate as sunglasses in such strong sunlight.

For this year's trip I am looking for a much better solution. I would prefer sunglasses that are suitable to ski in, for non snowy days. Am also considering a prescription insert that can go in regular googles. Has anyone used a universal prescription insert? What are they like? Is steaming up still a problem?

Would also love to hear if anyone has found close fitting, wraparound style sunglasses that are suitable for a higher (+5 and above) prescription, since the advisor at Vision Express told me they weren't an option for some one with my prescription.

Tell me I have options beyond getting contact lenses (which is pretty much what vision express told me I have to do).

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 06-Feb-16 19:24:44

My FIL (ish) is +9 in one eye, +10 in the other, and has a specially created wrap around thing. It took him a day or so to get used to it and now he's never without it. It doesn't seem to steam up.

VE like to push contacts, they are more profitable.

fluffiphlox Sat 06-Feb-16 20:42:07

I wear a helmet with built in visor and specs underneath. Can't wear contacts.

fluffiphlox Sat 06-Feb-16 20:43:03

Oh and on very sunny days I have wrap round Oakleys

fluffiphlox Sat 06-Feb-16 21:38:53

Which have prescription lenses

lovetoskimum Mon 08-Feb-16 14:11:19

I wear contacts and a good pair of goggles and then have oakley sunglasses with prescription lenses, have tried goggles over glasses and got too steamed up, would love to stretch to goggles with lenses but too much money for this year, maybe for next year !! smile

SalmonMaki Mon 08-Feb-16 14:17:01

Daily disposables are my essentials for skiing, although I do have a pair of extra deep goggles to wear over my normal glasses for days when I don't fancy contacts.

I find contacts are just easier, then I can wear whatever goggles or sunglasses are to hand.

trixymalixy Mon 08-Feb-16 16:40:47

Three of our ski group have helmets with visors and wear their glasses under.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now