Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody ski in normal softshell walking trousers?

(8 Posts)
BloodyBloods Fri 08-Jan-16 14:00:16

I'm sure I read on here that somebody did but I can't find the post. I wondered how it would work, skiing without a snow gaiter on the inside of trousers. I have softshell ski trousers with a gaiter but I also have walking trousers which are a lot nicer but don't have the gaiter. I just wondered if anyone had tried it or if it is another one of my daft ideas.

museumum Fri 08-Jan-16 14:02:31

My husband skis in winter walking trousers. He always says he's too hot in salopettes. They are not that baggy over his boots so no snow goes up and he wears long socks.
Personally I think I'd be chilly.

Ethelswith Fri 08-Jan-16 14:04:24

I once skied with someone who did so in jeans and ski gaiters.

It all depends on how warm it is, how far away from civilisation you're going, and how likely you are to get covered in snow.

Jeans, I think, is going too far (though he was fine), but I can't see why you wouldn't be ok in any waterproof trouser plus gaiter.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 08-Jan-16 20:03:31

I think Drspouse posted that.

I can't see why not, I think if you go off piste in deep powder or it was very icy on chairlift seats you might think again, but other than that it's all about warmth.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 09-Jan-16 09:26:00

I wouldn't.. It's been chucking it down here, snow and rain, in Portes de Soleil with lots of powder on piste. No way would I risk a gap between my trousers and my socks!! Even with heavy duty ski trousers, I was cold and damp. (My ski trousers are a few years old, my husbands new ones kept him dry.)

drspouse Sat 09-Jan-16 12:53:29

They are actually waterproof over trousers, over fleece leggings. No gaiter but they have a zip/Velcro/popper to do up round the bottom of the boot. They are thicker than normal walking waterproof trousers, I'm pretty sure they are ski specific.
It means I can do cross country in just the fleece leggings plus warm tights.

BloodyBloods Wed 13-Jan-16 19:32:57

Thanks!

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Wed 13-Jan-16 19:34:50

I wouldn't wear walking trousers to ski in. I love my sallopettes (24 days until I get to use them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now