Talk

Advanced search

Les Arcs with kids advice please!

(15 Posts)
rosietheriveter Mon 04-Jan-16 09:26:09

We are thinking about going to Les Arcs at Easter and although we've been there before we've never been with kids. Any recommendations for ski schools for DSs 6 and 4 and DP who have never skied before? I presume ski schools will do morning lessons and then we can do family stuff in the afternoons.

Also, are we better off booking an apartment (self catered) and finding a ski school separately? Or should we be looking at packages?

Thanks for any advice.

lovetoskimum Mon 04-Jan-16 13:20:06

rosie, we did Easter last year and it was amazing, mind you was very warm, remember sun screen, at one point was 23 degrees in resort !!!

We stayed in 1600 last year in a catered chalet (chalet lovely but hosts very miserable) but are staying in 2000 in 8 weeks time smile Daughter did ESF ski school at 1600 and found it good, then skied with us in the afternoon, varying group of skiers and snowboarders !!

Just me hubby and daughter this year, booked self catering at Arc 2000, complex with pool and there is a bubble lift to 1950 so get the best of both resorts, great skiing at all levels of resorts, ask me any more questions, gladly reply smile smile

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 04-Jan-16 14:21:16

Evolution 2 is very good at 1950 and the village is ski in ski out which is great when everyone has their ski legs. 1800 is a bit of a schlep to the nursery slopes from many of the apartments.

I have taken many lessons with ESF but I think that E2 have smaller classes which is helpful as a beginner.

I would recommend Eurostar, private transfer by cab and Radisson/Pierre Vacances self catering at 1950 but lots of apts on holiday rental websites too.

mary21 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:45:58

If you are going at Easter book a high resort either 2000 or 1950 as snow can be a problem late. Or wait till the last minute till you know if there is good snow and book via igluski or ifyouski. We went at Easter in 2011 to les arcs and skied though a white strip of snow through a green golf course. That year ester was mid April. Would love to go back with good snow though as it looked like a great ski area.

lovetoskimum Mon 04-Jan-16 15:05:50

Snow last year at Easter was good, but agree snow at 1600 was slushy as very warm, it is a great ski area, lots of cruzy blues from the very top ski all the way down to 1600 on blues and nice reds. Resort 1950 is lovely but more expensive than 2000, as said there is a bubble life that runs until 11pm so you can use both resorts, 1950 sometimes has firework displays, a really lovely resort for a family skiing holiday smile

lovetoskimum Mon 04-Jan-16 15:23:28

lol bubble lift !! smile

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 04-Jan-16 21:54:17

I can endorse Evo2, excellent adult and kids lessons. I've booked them directly and they were easy to deal with.

There is an British Ski school in Tignes (not far away), might be worth a google as they may cover Les Arcs too.

Pollyanna1975 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:49:32

We've skied the past 2 years at Easter in Les Arcs. Plenty of snow at 1950 and 2000. We stay in the Radisson Blu 1950. Absolutely brilliant with the kids. Ski to door and very easy to get to ski school. Pedestrianised resort. We used ESF both times and were very happy. Highly recommend.

Pollyanna1975 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:52:45

PS. We book everything ourselves directly. Really easy to arrange. ESF mail you your ski school vouchers so you just turn up on the day. You can even buy your lift passes and get them delivered to you in the UK so no need to queue when you arrive.

chantilly70 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:00:43

I think either Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 would be good options at Easter. If it is very mild it can get a bit slushy towards Arc 1800 in the afternoon. Arc 1950 has more of a village feel but Arc 2000 is slightly easier for beginners to ski back to. Both places have excellent self catering apartments with pools etc. There are also so many options for eating out that you don't need to cook much! The two resorts are linked by a gondola that runs all evening.

If you haven't been there by train before the Eurostar ski train is a great way to travel. You would probably have to move quickly to get tickets for it in school hols though. We have also driven there. On both occasions we booked accommodation plus transport through Ski Collection and some of the ski extras like ski school too. They have looked after us very well getting us apartments with specific views if requested and if there have ever been any issues whilst away (eg ski school problem) they have dealt with them there and then. I think Evolution 2 is probably your best ski school option in this resort as we had a mixed experience with the ESF. It was with children at gold level though and I think there are less likely to be language issues in the beginner groups.

PossumInAPearTree Mon 09-Jan-17 12:08:50

Unless you're going in school holidays be very careful about ski lesson availability in English. We stuffed up once (in tignes) as there's was no English group lessons either with esf, evolution 2 or any other outfit. Obv the kids from mark warner, esprit, etc had English group lessons but if you weren't with a travel operator there was no chance. We had the choice of private lessons or group French lessons!

I believe esprit have chalets in les arcs. Or have you considered Plan Peisey with esprit? Just along the mountain, better location for the vanoise express and the best hot tubs ever.

OllyBJolly Mon 09-Jan-17 12:11:15

We went to Les Arcs with Esprit who were superb. 2 DDs had an instructor all to themselves!

lovetoskimum Wed 11-Jan-17 13:42:40

Agree with what everybody says, our daughter had ski school in the afternoon last year and worked really well, have used esf in 2000 for two years running, back 11 March!! 2000 is cheaper to stay but there is a bubble lift to 1950, enjoy 😄

Broccolirevolution Sat 14-Jan-17 12:07:49

Hi, just found this thread. We are considering booking for April. Am I right that we should book 2000 at this time of year? Also, can anyone recommend accomodation for a family with young children? We don't want to be too far from esf. Thanks

chantilly70 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:28:10

Broccolirevolution - I would recommend staying in Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 in April as it can get slushy in the afternoons going down to the other villages at that time. ESF are based in Arc 2000 but they do pick up people from 1950 on the way through. I'd recommend either la source des arcs or la cime des arcs in Arc 2000 - good self catering residences that are very well located.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now