Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a reasonable hotel just outside Calais

(6 Posts)
WelshMoth Sun 03-Jan-16 11:12:12

We're driving to the Alps this year and will be coming off the ferry at Calais at about 1 in the morning. Does anyone use a relatively cheap hotel with family rooms, that has secure parking? We'll have all our ski gear on the roof and want peace of mind that it'll be safe.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 03-Jan-16 14:47:04

We've used formula 1 and the car parks tend to have lockable parking. Not the best rooms, but cheap and cheerful.

If I were you, I'd drive on if this is the school hols. The world and his wife will be on the roads and heading to the hills the next morning will be murder.

WelshMoth Sun 03-Jan-16 17:02:06

I hadn't considered that - great advice, thank you.

We're off to Châtel which, according to AA route planner, is about 8hrs from the Ferry Port in Calais. There are three of us taking it in turns to drive so maybe straight through is the way to go.

I drove to Annecy in the summer, but then proceeded on to Provence so I don't really remember much of the route.

Maybe I'll pack the car with pillows and blankets for the DC and be prepared to power on through.

lampygirl Sun 03-Jan-16 19:41:20

We always drive through the night, down to the Swiss Alps, as it is so easy and quiet. We have 3 drivers and one who won't drive on the wrong side of the road... 2 sleep in the back, one drives and one stays awake and talks to the driver, we swap whenever the driver feels tired. Always prepared to pull over for a kip in a service station but we've never needed it. Usually we leave work at 6 on the Friday, and have a 10pm eurotunnel, arrive in resort about 8am. Short nap is allowed on arrival but we try and battle through being awake all day on the arrival day getting all the faff done, ski's hired and tickets bought for our friends etc.

It is definitely worth considering. Download some audio books for the journey.

WelshMoth Sun 03-Jan-16 20:41:26

lampygirl, you've inspired me even more. Have spoken to our fellow travellers (I drive a t5 so 7 of us are travelling together) and we're going for it.

Audio books are a good call too - I shall get a load downloaded ready. Any recommendations?

Any other hints and tips will be greatly appreciated.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 03-Jan-16 21:21:42

you'll definitely benefit. I have heard so many 15hour plus runs from Dijon the next day it's put me off!

Chatel will be great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now