Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me an Austrian resort good for young children please?

(11 Posts)
JustABigBearAlan Thu 31-Dec-15 15:57:47

Just that really. We're planning ahead to next year and would like to take our children skiing for the first time. Where have you been in Austria that you'd recommend?

Just been doing some research and Serfaus looks amazing for young children. Anyone been or have other suggestions please?

TIA

Gattabianca Thu 31-Dec-15 19:53:06

It was a long time ago but I learned to ski in Zell am Zee and San Johann. I've been looking at these resorts for my little boy, they seem to have a good reputation for kids skischule and being family friendly.

JustABigBearAlan Thu 31-Dec-15 20:03:29

Thank you! I think I've actually been to St.Johann, but in the days before children, so I obviously wasn't taking much notice of children's facilities. Will have a look into them.

drspouse Thu 31-Dec-15 22:51:29

We are about to go to St Anton and we loved it last time we went - there's a lovely swimming pool, we are going with Esprit though and most of the children's stuff is through them. We have two under 5 and the older one will start skiing this year.

lapsedorienteerer Mon 04-Jan-16 22:13:22

Depends what age your DC are? I went to Serfaus with DS when he was 7. Nice village but you do need to take the gondola half way up the mountain to reach the main ski school base which is not an ideal start to the morning if you have complete beginners

Hinterglemm is great, especially if you stay right by the ski school area (in Hinterglemm rather than Saalbach), we took DS there when he was 5.5. There was also a free night time floodlit tubing slopesmile. We stayed here which was fabulous, but not cheap! this hotel is next door and also right on the slopes.

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Tue 05-Jan-16 13:57:46

Forgive me for highjacking your thread justabigbearAlan but lapsedorienteerer how good is the resort at Hinterglemm please, that second hotel you linked to looks amazing!

JustABigBearAlan Tue 05-Jan-16 15:58:08

Highjack away Battery! I've been looking at Hinterglemm too, since I read*lapsed*'s post, so I'm interested too. I read that it's got a reputation as being a bit of a party resort like St Anton though. Is it? Agree the hotel looks amazing!

Mine will be 3 and 6, so I'm really looking for somewhere good for littlies.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 05-Jan-16 21:44:18

JustABig and BatteryOperated - Hinterglemm was definitely the best all round most convenient ski resort in Austria I've been to with DS (others were St Anton at age 2, Alpbach age 4, Seefeld age 7, Serfaus age 8 and Kaprun age 10). Saalbach is the 'party' destination, Hinterglemm was quiet.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 05-Jan-16 21:59:57

Hochkoenig is an area I've had on my list but never been to (easy from Salzburg). There is (used to be?) a Mnetter who lives there. Also the Ski Amade area, have been to Ramsau am Dachstien but more of a cross country resort. Have always had my eye on this hotel in Wagrain, or rather half way up the gondola route.

FloraFox Wed 06-Jan-16 00:05:42

Serfaus is excellent for kids. Everything is very well set up for kids.

mammmamia Wed 06-Jan-16 00:10:11

Watching with interest as we've just booked Solden for Easter. Anyone know this area?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now