Talk

Advanced search

Feb half term skiing alone with 5 yo dd, recommendations

(9 Posts)
mrsgrace Sun 20-Dec-15 09:03:41

I'd like to take my dd skiing for half term but dh has to work. Can't find any takers in our friend group - am I crazy to consider taking her alone? We are quite social so I thought if we found a shared chalet it could work. Has anyone had experience with this or could anyone recommend a resort that would be 'user friendly' to this situation? We have a reasonable budget. Thanks!

Branleuse Sun 20-Dec-15 09:12:53

ive never been, but the vosges in north east france is supposed to be good for young families, although the snow isnt always guaranteed

meditrina Sun 20-Dec-15 09:26:53

Is your DD desperate to ski? Because otherwise, I'd say go alone to get your ski-ing fix if it can be managed that way round at all.

You need to consider choosing a resort based on the ski school and the availability of a crèche you are happy to use. Because it would be a waste of the cost of a half-term price ski pass for you if you could not get in some adult ski-ing. Also, with a good crèche, you don't have to look for a resort which offers enough to keep DD occupied for a week if she decides she doesn't like it (and you still get to ski).

(Sorry, I don't have any specific chalets to recommend)

MrsUltra Wed 23-Dec-15 12:36:50

I would recommend not going, unless you can change the week and take her out of school (and I would and did when my DC were in primary).
Will be crowded and , ridiculously expensive, and she may not enjoy it.
I would wait until she is 7 or 8.

Branleuse Wed 23-Dec-15 13:16:42

theres a centerparcs in holland - kempervennen which has its own ski centre which might be a nice compromise so there will be other things to do for your dd, and even possible childcare for you if you want a go on your own

Gattabianca Wed 23-Dec-15 20:53:18

Going a bit against the grain here but I think it could definitely work, so long as you picked a family chalet with childcare provided.
They have ski nannies who will take her to ski school in the morning then pick her up and give her lunch in the kids club so you could get plenty of adult skiing in.
Most of the resorts in Porte du Soleil are good for young children - short transfers, lots of family friendly activities, etc.
smile

larrygrylls Wed 23-Dec-15 21:06:25

I took my 4 and 5 year old sons last year as my wife does not ski. What Gatta said is right; choose a family friendly chalet with good childcare. I went to Morzine with family ski but there are several companies which offer similar packages. Not cheap but skiing never is.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 01-Jan-16 21:43:19

I'd do it. My friend goes alone with her 7 and 4 year old. You need to have a calm outlook, but why not?

My kids are both good skiers and I would take them by myself. Make sure she goes in ski school, then ski with her in the PM.

My 4 year old runs out of steam earlier than my older DD, but she can ski about 70% of the day. We will have a mid afternoon snack break and then ski on.

I don't think childcare is that necessary as long as you get her in ski school, however Austria offers all day classes so might be worth a look.

Assuming she is an active child, i would have thought she'd love it. Why not try her at one of the indoor ski centres and see?

alicemalice Sun 10-Jan-16 17:46:30

I'm taking my DD alone at Feb half term. We're off to Le Grand Bornand.

If you put her in ski school, you'll definitely get time to ski.

You could also try the solo parent skiing companies - eg Cold Fusion. These aren't just for single parents but any parent that wants to go alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now