Talk

Advanced search

Ski helmets - your recommendations please!

(25 Posts)
PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 13:11:57

I'm planning on buying ski helmets for me & DD2 this year. Apart from colour & comfort, what other things should we take into consideration?

I've never worn one before so am a bit worried that my head my get too hot!

If anyone can recommend theirs & tell me why, I would be most grateful.

Thank you smile

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 13:13:08

head will get too hot blush

LIZS Wed 18-Nov-15 13:31:13

Get one with ventilation and adjustable inserts.

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 13:39:31

Ok, do you mean one where there is a little knob at the back to adjust the fit?

I tried a couple on this week in my local ski shop but my forehead hurt! I want a helmet that is as comfortable as my riding helmet really <<spoilt>>

fruitlovingmonkey Wed 18-Nov-15 13:50:10

I have a Salomon icon air which I really like. It has good ventilation and is adjusted with an air pump so fits really well.
The newest safety technology is MIPS, when I bought my husband a new helmet I went for that. As far as I can work out the benefits are mainly for hitting a very hard surface eg ice so probably only required if you ski fast in all weather conditions.

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 14:19:23

Thank you, I didn't know about MIPS.

Also now wondering where has the best selection of helmets to try on. We have a small Snow & Rock here in Brighton but it has rather limited stocks.

lovetoskimum Wed 18-Nov-15 14:37:04

Pesto, your in Brighton ?? So am I smile Work just round the corner from Snow and Rock !!

Do you live in Brighton ?? We are just outside in Lancing smile

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 14:43:37

Oh goodness, small world & all that! Yep, live on the outskirts, nice & high with great views.

I probably passed by where you work then, as it took me three trips to Snow + Rock to get a comfy new pair of ski boots. My last pair gave up the ghost after 25 years shock Hope these new ones last as long grin

Now just got to source the ski helmets...

lovetoskimum Wed 18-Nov-15 14:47:25

Yeah very small world, love working here ! Dangerous in summer want to nip to the beach !! and even more dangerous for Christmas shopping !!

Have you tried surf and ski on Regent Street ?? They may have some smile

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 15:27:09

Yes, that's where I popped in and tried some on. They didn't have a lot of stock there, think Snow + Rock will have more. I just didn't look in S + R whilst I was concentrating on the main event, aka the boots!

dottygamekeeper Wed 18-Nov-15 15:37:48

Once you get used to wearing a helmet, provided you get the fit right, you won't notice it - none my family get too hot (even my husband who is notorious for moaning about overheating). If you wear goggles, take your goggles when trying on helmets, as different helmets fit better with different goggles too. I would recommend one with ventilation that can be adjusted. As long as it meets current safety standards, and fits well, any brand will do, dependent on your budget, aesthetics etc.

I never used to wear one, but always insisted on the children (as they then were) wearing one. However, I then had a silly fall right at the bottom of an icy nursery slope, last run of the day, just before I came to a halt to take my skis off, (having skied all types of runs all day in bad weather without falling once!) I knocked myself out and spent the rest of my holiday with concussion, so I always wear a helmet now and would feel vulnerable without.

I know it won't save me in all situations, but it could make a big difference - also if you have a collision and someone's skis hit your head it can prevent/reduce injury.

Madblondedog Wed 18-Nov-15 15:40:04

Another one who lives just outside Brighton smile

I got a lovely one from the little Snow+Rock in Brighton a few years ago. Salomon I think and its really light, I hate helmets usually but it doesn't feel like much more than wearing a hat

Can you order some other designs in from a bigger store to try them?

notafanofwinter Wed 18-Nov-15 15:42:12

I always wear a helmet, the DC have gown up wearing them and they're pretty much the norm. Safety aside non helmet wearers look very dated.

My best advice is to go somewhere with a big selection and try masses on. Comfort is key.

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 15:50:47

Ooh, good advice about trying them on with my goggles - I hadn't thought about that. Thanks dottygamekeeper

<<waves to Madblondedog>>

Madblondedog Wed 18-Nov-15 15:56:27

That's a really good suggestions Dotty. I just happened to buy mine at the same time so did that automatically

<<waves to Pesto>>

massistar Wed 18-Nov-15 17:21:05

I always wear a helmet.. Have never been too hot. But then I snowboard and have fallen on my arse and whacked my noggin on an icy slope one too many times not to use one! We got ours from TK Maxx a couple of years ago.. Dainese, who also make motorbike helmets and it's been fab.

fruitlovingmonkey Wed 18-Nov-15 17:59:41

You can also adjust your clothing to make up for the helmet keeping you warm. Unless it's a cold day or I'm skiing with slow people I wear a Goretex shell instead of padded jacket/ trousers and then I can layer jumpers as necessary.
I'm a cold person in general and DH is a very hot person but we both manage to get the right temperature whilst wearing helmets.

PestoSkiissimos Thu 19-Nov-15 08:25:51

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. It will definitely be a new experience for me, skiing with a helmet. Normally I wear a fur headband or a bobble hat!

Possomcandle Thu 19-Nov-15 13:41:57

Definitely go for two sets of gloves. Mittens with a zip/velcro all the way down are the easiest to get on comfortably.

JacksonBrodie Mon 23-Nov-15 22:45:44

I just bought a black Nevica one in sports direct. £20!

Trickydecision Fri 27-Nov-15 16:42:02

Aldi's website says they will have helmets next Thursday 3 Dec. £19.99

Tigresswoods Sun 29-Nov-15 21:51:27

I returned to skiing this year (Feb) after a 7y absence. I was surprised how common place helmets are now. I had been prepared & got myself one from Costco. I was really impressed actually. Kids get them as standard with ski hire & I got DS a cool cover to go over it so I could spot him easily.

I was never too hot & now would not ski without one.

smile

Scotslasslivinginfrance Sun 29-Nov-15 22:08:09

Hey I'm in Brighton too! Just a neebie though so not sure here is good to buy a helmet locally. Would it not be worth waiting until you get to your resort as there will be loads of places selling helmets, staff will be more knowledgeable, more choice.

You could always rent a helmet for the first couple of days to give you an idea of what you might want from a helmet!

I wouldn't ski without one.

I would always make sure that there there was a proper clip at the back for goggles, especially for kids, as the goggles can slide off quite easily and if it's not a proper clip, they can come off completely and will be gone forever!

Scotslasslivinginfrance Sun 29-Nov-15 22:09:04

Newbie!

PestoSkiissimos Mon 30-Nov-15 09:56:45

Update: I ended up getting MIPS ones for both me & DD2. Our goggles fit nicely and so do the helmets. Very pleased to be sorted before we go, coz we are only there for a week and want to spend it on the slopes not in the ski shops grin

Thank you all for the help
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now