Talk

Advanced search

catered chalet???

(12 Posts)
no73 Wed 03-Jun-15 09:11:19

I'm looking at going away Jan 2016 and initially looked at hotels as really don't want to do self catering ever again!

Friends I am going with normally only stay in 4 or 5* hotels but I'm just not feeling the love for them and they are expensive. I would like catered chalet as think it would be more appropriate and easier for me with my 6 year old.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons so I can try and persuade my friends that catered chalets would be as good as a hotel if not better.

dingit Wed 03-Jun-15 09:15:06

We have been to catered chalets in Austria ( summer)' and in USA ( winter). Both were fabulous, food amazing, and very relaxing with a real home from home feel.
Whereabouts are you looking at?

no73 Wed 03-Jun-15 09:21:51

France. Was initially looking at Bulgaria for hotels but the food reviews were appalling and the snow rather uncertain for January. I'm happy to go anywhere though.

I just really like the idea of a more cosier feel. I have done self catering twice and it worked out rather expensive so may as well have be catered for.

cathyandclaire Wed 03-Jun-15 09:22:30

We always did catered chalets when the kids were younger, room to play, no babysitters needed, it's like having having a chef come in and cook (and wash up) for you every night.
Cons, you eat and drink TONS.
We have been at all different levels/prices of chalets and the food and wine was significantly better at the top end (unsurprisingly) although the best we ever went with was not the most expensive. The ones with great childcare (Ellite etc) tend to be relatively pricier IME for the quality of chalet/food.

cathyandclaire Wed 03-Jun-15 09:24:44

Big advantage, you can loll around in your thermal underwear in front of a fire with cake at tea-time and discuss your day on the slopes. It's much more social if you're in a group.

dingit Wed 03-Jun-15 09:27:45

I was recommended Chalet Chili powder in Morzine ( can't link), and fancy it for next summer.

oddfodd Wed 03-Jun-15 09:30:29

I was also going to recommend Chilly Powder. The food is really good and it's so much more relaxing staying in a chalet than in a hotel. And the people that run the company are lovely smile

cathyandclaire Wed 03-Jun-15 13:11:45

Have done Chilly Powder in Morzine and YSE in Val d'Isere, both excellent.

dingit Wed 03-Jun-15 14:01:52

Cathy, did you do summer or winter?

cathyandclaire Wed 03-Jun-15 14:18:57

We did winter, in the bigger chalet they have. I'd imagine it would be beautiful in summer though, lots of mountain hiking/biking/lolling and drinking in the sun grin

dingit Wed 03-Jun-15 14:29:56

I was looking at the big chalet, mainly as it has a hot tub! The scenery looks stunning, and there are some great day trips too, we are hiring a car.

getmeontheslopes Thu 04-Jun-15 16:52:24

We went with Family Ski Company back in January, albeit to the 3 valleys. Have to say, we all thought they were brilliant. My little ones loved the child care club and when we were late getting to our chalet from the airport, the staff in the chalet were excellent, they even saved us our dinner! I'm just looking at our holiday for next season and I've just asked for a quote from them. I'm excited already !!!hello

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now