Talk

Advanced search

cross country skiing

(6 Posts)
onetwoflea Sun 08-Feb-15 11:05:17

Hi we'd love to take the kids cross country skiing - does anyone have any recommendations for reasonable value places - we've been to bavaria before as adults which was lovely - we especially liked the swimming pools at the end of the day and the once villages. We'd like to drive ideally, rent a self catering place and hire skis etc. Thank you in advance!!

lavendersun Thu 12-Feb-15 17:11:19

DH used to do a lot of x country skiing - he paid his way through uni by being in the ski rescue team - when he wasn't working he would go off x country with his friends for days, staying in little huts here and there.

What sort of thing did you have in mind? Budget and country (or even continent), do you mean ski x country for the day but return to the place you left from? I think you could just pay a day guide for that sort of thing.

It can be hard work too so level of fitness and stamina needs taking into account - perhaps my benchmark is off though as I only know of DH's sort of skiing which is too much for little old me!

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 12-Feb-15 22:04:29

Praz de Lys Sommard near the Portes de Soleil in France is easily accessible and had a good range of pistes.

lavendersun Fri 13-Feb-15 08:15:39

We usually ski in Italy and everywhere we go DH goes off with a guide for the day at some point so I think you can do it fairly easily. I probably got the wrong end of the stick when I envisaged your family with backpacks, lighting fires in the evening didn't I!

LIZS Fri 13-Feb-15 08:21:20

Seefeld or Montafon valley in Austria?

kittykarate Sun 15-Feb-15 20:39:37

The region around Seefeld in Austria is good. Loads of trail ( they claim 270km in the region but that's a bit of a cheat as they count skate and classic seperately - so in reality 140km of varying difficulty), good x country school, short transfer from Innsbruck airport and you can catch a train there from Munich if that's easier.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: