Talk

Advanced search

Ski kit for little people - socks and boots for very small 3yo feet?

(16 Posts)
TwelveLeggedWalk Wed 21-Jan-15 19:43:35

So, taking two 3yos on their first ski trip in a few weeks, likely putting them into ESF Piou Piou (gulp!).

I have got 1 bargain eBay suit, 1 hand-me-down suit, and lots of kiddy thermals on sale.

Am planning on hiring helmet/skis/boots) in resort. DD is small for her age and has tiny (infant 6.5) feet - do I need to worry about whether there will be boots to fit her? Or do French children (we're going to flaine) start skiing at 6 months so it'll be fine...?

Also - where on earth can I find suitable socks?

And anyone got any tips for good but cheap googles and gloves for small people?

TwelveLeggedWalk Wed 21-Jan-15 19:44:26

Oh, and DD is pretty reliable on the toilet training, but DS still has an accident every couple of days or four yesterday so are pull-ups the best idea to keep his suit dry and warm?

museumum Wed 21-Jan-15 19:46:10

Cheap tiny stuff - decathlon. It's fab!

Boots? - try checking the ski hire shop online? Or pre-book? Pre-booking generally a good idea anyway.

fairgame Wed 21-Jan-15 19:49:43

This website is reasonably priced, not sure if its classed as cheap as it depends on your budget.
www.littleskiers.co.uk/

Sportsdirect sometimes do ski gear cheap in their stores.

museumum Wed 21-Jan-15 19:50:01

www.skiset.co.uk/ski-resort/flaine/booking/catalog/equipment/ski/age/child/

Starts at shoe size 3 (small 3), height less than 2'10" and 22lbs. That would fit my 18mo old!!

ipswichwitch Wed 21-Jan-15 19:50:09

H&M online has some ski gear

LIZS Wed 21-Jan-15 19:50:17

You should be ok but agree email the shop in advance so they can transfer them in from another shop if needs be. Tbh a lot of kids pee themselves due to cold, reluctance to ask or can't wait until a break for a wee. The staff may or may not be willing to help change them . Don't expect them to do much skiing though, they may just play in the snow or inside

LIZS Wed 21-Jan-15 19:51:13

Little Trekkers and snow and rock do small kids sizes in socks etc.

TwelveLeggedWalk Wed 21-Jan-15 20:07:36

You are all AWESOME. Thank you

We'll be hiring from Ski Set in the Hammeau I think so I'll check that they have the right sizes in stock and pre-book (been so long since I've skied I've no idea what I need though!)

Got some fab fleeces in Decalthlon before Christmas so will try there for socks and maybe cheap kit for me now I'm quite fat

I'd looked at Little Skiers but was hoping for a bit more bargainous at this age. Or I suppose could buy new and eBay straight afterwards to catch the Easter holidays. Always assume Snow & Rock is ££££ but will look on line.

Will have to find some pull-ups with a good character on to bribe DS to wear them I think...

trixymalixy Wed 21-Jan-15 23:03:54

Yes to pull ups. DS peed himself frequently on our first ski trip and he was 5.

I really rate Columbia ski suits for that age group. They have zip open legs for easy toiletting. You can get then on eBay really reasonably 2nd hand and they sell well afterwards.

TwelveLeggedWalk Thu 22-Jan-15 09:34:46

Thanks Trixy. And we've got Colmbia suits for both of them so they probably have better kit than me....

PatriciaHolm Thu 22-Jan-15 09:37:20

DS and DD started skiing at 2 and 3 and we had no problem hiring kit for them in the Alps. And yes to the pull-ups, DD was fine but DS very much not!

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 22-Jan-15 12:29:56

Do phone the shop, if they don't have it, they can phone round the other shops. We hired some small snowboarding kit in Flaine last week and there was a bit of a panic when we turned up... Sorted though but phoning ahead would have been less stressful!!

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 22-Jan-15 12:31:24

And if there were two things I would pay good money for, it would be wool rich socks and the best gloves you can find!

PatriciaHolm Thu 22-Jan-15 14:47:05

Oooh yes second the socks and Gloves. Even they are loving the skiing, cold hands and toes will end their fun very soon. Seamless socks if at all possible, ski boots are fun enough on a youngster without arguing about seams too...

trixymalixy Thu 22-Jan-15 19:32:32

Also take spare gloves for the kids. They tend to get quite wet or lost and it's expensive to buy replacements in resort.

I also recommend glove glue or just old fashioned elastic through the sleeves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: