Talk

Advanced search

Dull but necessary: insurance

(7 Posts)
clam Mon 12-Jan-15 20:21:33

Just received an email to say our insurance provider will no longer cover us for renewal! (Made a small claim last year. Furious, but that's another issue). We've always had winter sports' cover, but am finding it hard to tell in the small print whether emergency air-lift off the mountain and so forth is included with these new quotes. Lots of stuff about theft of skis, but nothing specific about medical emergencies, which is of course the crucial issue.

So, are there any other options? I seem to recall you can take out cover with your lift pass (carte neige?), if we had "normal" travel insurance without the specific winter package. Is that worthwhile, or an expensive way to do it? (We tend to take out additional cover for the hired skis anyway). Have googled the resort and it says nothing about it.

Meitimoo Mon 12-Jan-15 22:57:39

This was recently covered on the snowheads forum snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2603584&highlight=insurance#2603584
Personally I wouldnt take the risk...

Meitimoo Mon 12-Jan-15 22:59:11

Whoops wrong thread!

snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2424791&highlight=insurance#2424791

clam Tue 13-Jan-15 18:23:46

Wouldn't take what risk? I'm not suggesting for a moment to ski without insurance - just want to know which is the best way of doing it.

Thanks for the link - think I will have to phone the companies directly, assuming they will talk to me before I take out any policy with them.

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 13-Jan-15 20:52:27

worth a read

clam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:20:03

Aha. That's what i needed to know re: Carte Neige.
Thanks both! wine <-- vin chaud.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Wed 14-Jan-15 09:35:45

Carte Neige and Carré Neige may give limited cover for some of the transportation costs back home
I would be wary about this!
After years of many ski hols with us and with school without even a minor bruise, DS broke his leg last year on a school ski trip to the States.
Was not a Carte Neige, normal insurance company covering school trips. He was covered for everything - no issue about the insurance not being 'recognised' by emergency services - and bearing in mind this is the States you might think they would be picky.
He had a complicated operation there, and then had to be to flown home BA first class (flat bed) - adult accompanied him in first class.
We didn't have to pay anything - even to 'reclaimed' later. I get copies of the bills - eye-watering and still filtering through, but for info only.
I appreciate this is the US and not EU, but the devil is in the detail.
I will never skimp on insurance for skiing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: