Talk

Advanced search

Any boarders out there?

(5 Posts)
massistar Sat 10-Jan-15 11:05:41

I've only ever boarded, never skiied but starting to worry what I'm going to do when I'm 50 or 60.. In my early 40s now and pretty fit but wondering if should learn to ski now so am not leaving it too late? Thoughts?

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 12-Jan-15 21:47:01

No idea if I will still be boarding in my 50's! Perhaps a question for the Snowheads forum!

I skied for a week before learning to board, skied a bit rather than board when I was pregnant (not advised, I know!) and have learned to ski now as that is what my children do. It is much easier to learn! I have also started cross country skiing and have seen 90 year olds whizz past me on the slopes, I am still perfecting my skatin technique and working on speed!

I ski better than I board now but not as fast as my children and only take my board out if the conditions are perfect (powder!), I still love being on my board and my children have started to try boarding so who knows what will come of that! Mummy being left behind in another sport, I guess!!!

PatriciaHolm Tue 13-Jan-15 11:35:55

Dh is 45, excellent boarder and has no plans to change - he can't anyway as a dodgy knee means he's been told not to ski (boarding is fine as a different motion). Why would skiing be better when older? (not being rude, I just don't understand?)

massistar Wed 14-Jan-15 09:41:44

My DH is of the same opinion and for the same reason Patricia. I think I just see skiing as being a bit more elegant and less of a faff with the pulling yourself up, sitting down to do up your bindings, falling over more etc.

WiggleGinger Tue 20-Jan-15 21:05:59

Hubby and FIL Say stay in the board! (We are away now)
They've seen boarders in their 80's just accept you might not be able to do what you could but that would be the same as if you were skiing!
They also say you would waste time not being a great skier when you could be spending time being a great boarder!
Stick to what you know and enjoy it !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: