Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a cheap weekend?

(12 Posts)
ScarlettInSpace Sat 10-Jan-15 10:16:31

Hi all,

OH & I are getting married June so why the hell I think we can afford to go snowseeking this year I have no idea! But I got new skis for Christmas which I'm desperate to gave a go on, and I'm telling myself we need a weekend away together in Feb/Mar to finalise the wedding details grin

I switched from boarding to skiing last year but screwed my knee on day 1 so need a resort that's fairly beginner friendly, OH is an excellent boarder but said he will practice riding switch so he can stay with me on the easy runs.

Due to honeymoon & wedding annual leave & budget are low hence we are looking at a long weekend.

Bulgaria has been mentioned by a couple of people but looking online reports are very mixed... never been to Austria is that a possibility or are transfers too long for a few days?

Any good suggestions? Thanks in advance

CatWomantotheRescue Sat 10-Jan-15 10:19:18

How about Aviemore in Scotland? That will be your cheapest option and should do for beginners.

ScarlettInSpace Sat 10-Jan-15 10:30:51

Hmm someone else suggested Scotland! I was under the impression it's a case of keeping an eye in the weather and beheading up there if it snows which wouldn't work for us, I'm prob wrong on that though! - Can you plan ahead to go there as we need to book time off work?

ScarlettInSpace Sat 10-Jan-15 10:32:04

Heading not beheading lol, no one needs to lose their head grin

massistar Sat 10-Jan-15 10:59:25

Morzine is great for a long weekend as so close to Geneva. Or Samoens is lovely. We stayed at a cheap catered chalet there which does long weekends out of peak weeks. It's http://www.chalet-giffre-samoens.com.

massistar Sat 10-Jan-15 11:00:12

Ps. go back to boarding.. It's much better on the knees!! grin

ScarlettInSpace Sat 10-Jan-15 11:17:07

Better on the knees but not the skeleton lol, I've broken too many bones boarding I need a change! I've kept my gear though so never say never wink

PaulaJane37 Sat 10-Jan-15 11:27:58

Just get your coat! Loadsa snow up here in Scotland. Glenshee is probably the best x

ScarlettInSpace Sat 10-Jan-15 11:32:17

Oooh 2 votes for Scotland grin I've been googling but can you recommend any particularly good Scotland info websites? Is there a guaranteed best time to go?

massistar Sat 10-Jan-15 12:57:06

How did you find the switch to skiing Scarlett? Been contemplating it as I get older!

ScarlettInSpace Sat 10-Jan-15 14:48:03

Skiing is loads easier, I picked it up pretty quick in a couple of hours at Mikton Keynes
It's nice having 2 legs instead of one too...

I have always felt a little bit out of control on a board - I enjoyed boarding but deffo feel skiing is more controlled & grown up apart from when I went backwards into the side of the mountain and ripped the tendon in my knee at the top of the Sache grin

CaurnieBred Sun 11-Jan-15 23:38:51

We had a fab weekend last year in Garmisch Partenkirchen in Germany. Flew to Munich then hired car but you can get train too. Really nice ski area and a lovely town too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now