Talk

Advanced search

Cost of self drive to the alps?

(9 Posts)
SkiDilemma Fri 09-Jan-15 16:06:44

Hi. How much does it really cost to self- drive to Morzine or similar during peak season? I'm thinking petrol, euro tunnel, hotel for 4 ( family room), tolls, buying snow chains...any thing else I've missed?

Any idea of total costs? Tia!

southbucks77 Fri 09-Jan-15 22:25:31

We're self-driving, self-catered etc for half term and it's still about £3500. Sorry - not cheap.

PeppermintCake Sat 10-Jan-15 07:17:19

Sorry south, I meant how much just for travel and associated costs? When I said hotel, I meant overnight stopover only. Rather than total holiday cost.

My op wasn't clear. Apologies.

Btw this year we are flying... Flights cost £330 for all 4 of us. Transfer will be £300 again. Accom £800. So £1400 self catering for half term!

Next year were going with others. Don't think I will be able to repeat those amazing air fares and will be staying somewhere posher. So I'm trying to figure out self travel travel (only) cost.

Tia

SkiDilemma Sat 10-Jan-15 07:18:14

Sorry, name change failure. Peppermint is me also smile

SignoraLiviaBurlando Sat 10-Jan-15 11:50:54

Just got back from 3V and was totting up the cost last night.
Depends where you live in the UK of course - driving from London and back to a medium size car cost me about
£300 in petrol
£170 in Eurotunnel (chose your dep and arr times carefully - massive peaks and trough in prices
Tolls, not sure, but on past experience probably about £200
RAC cover for 9 days was about £60
Overnight in a Accor basic hotel £58 triple room (again proves vary on dates and locations
Snow chains - varies - I bought some in Lidl for 19.99, but they can be anything up to £250. I went for cheaper ones as am used to putting them on, taking off - if I were less confident would got for the easy ones that are more expensive and car has winter tyres ( maybe cost about £600 but last several winters) which I definitely recommend - would not drive to the Alps on summer tyres tho' a lot of peeps do.
Took my own food for the journey (to save time rather than money, and because I am trying to avoid carbs) but felt quite pleased I had saved a few bob grin).

CaurnieBred Sun 11-Jan-15 23:51:57

If you shop at Tesco you can exchange points for Eurotunnel tickets so that can be a saving.

Look at the via Michelin web site and plot your route: it will give you an idea of toll prices and petrol costs.

You will also need to extend your car insurance for mainland Europe as well as breakdown cover but as you know this far in advance you are going you can always look at that as an additional area when renewing your policy and see if then can cover you as part of your renewal.

SignoraLiviaBurlando Mon 12-Jan-15 07:56:57

Don't insurance policies automatically cover you for EU? Ours always have - have never asked for it to be specially added.

lampygirl Mon 12-Jan-15 09:53:15

Insurance companies have to provide I think the basic level of cover in the EU, so you would have 3rd party insurance but not necessarily fully comp. I'm with Admiral, who include European cover to the same level as UK with their policies now, so check with your own insurer.

We went to Saas Fee in feb and it was less than £700 all in. Socks/Chains and winter tyres I count as the cost of running a car though, rather than on the cost of my holiday

SignoraLiviaBurlando Mon 12-Jan-15 10:56:47

lampygirl we are with admiral too, so that explains it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now