Talk

Advanced search

First ski holiday - what do I need clothing wise?

(16 Posts)
hillbilly Thu 08-Jan-15 10:03:10

Only going for a long weekend. Please can someone enlighten me on the essentials. I have nothing!

Thanks.

FreeButtonBee Thu 08-Jan-15 13:11:05

Doyou have a similar sized mate or colleague who can lend you some stuff? It can be pretty pricey to get set out but at a minimum

1 pair ski pants
1 ski jacket
base layers - uniqlo heathech are good and cheap
a light fleece/mid layer
ski gloves
1 decent pair of ski socks
googles
hat (for lunchtime/après ski)

Hire boots/skis/helmet at resort

Aldi/Lidl/TK Maxx/Decathalon are good for cheap gear but I really would see if you can borrow as much as you can for a first trip in case you hate it.

hillbilly Thu 08-Jan-15 13:50:37

Thanks for the list. I have skied at the indoor place in Dubai and also once many years ago in Canada so I know I will like it - and hope to take the children next year. Unfortunately most of the friends who ski are also coming but I reckon I can probably borrow socks, gloves and goggles. I have some thermals (top and bottom) would they suffice as base layers?

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 08-Jan-15 13:55:46

lots of thin layers
spare gloves
good ski socks
goggles
The first time I went skiing I wore Adidas tracky bottoms over two pairs of tights, and my normal parka thing. I looked rather fetching if I say so myself.

PatriciaHolm Thu 08-Jan-15 14:26:32

Thermals should be fine, plus other layers - long sleeve thin fleeces for example and t-shirts. Trousers and ski coat are really a must; hire a helmet there. Decathlon, TK Maxx, Millets are good sources of cheap kit.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 08-Jan-15 14:57:26

Thermals - avoid cotton T-shirts especially as a beginner as you will sweat into them and then freeze
So a thermal t or long sleeved thermal top, a thin fleece or two if you feel the cold and a lined ski jacket or down jacket/coat. If you are offered a "shell" coat often used by experienced skiers or boarders (who like to wear narly woolly jumpers underneath) this is a glorified waterproof raincoat and will only keep the wind/water out.

Get decent ski socks and gloves. Nothing worse than freezing hands and feet.
Hire the actual gear there. Note there should not be lots of space around your feet, the boots should feel snug so don't get fobbed off with old crap gear as your feet will slide around and freeze inside in only one pair of socks.

Woolly fleece lined hat that covers ears with googles on.

Googles rather than sunglasses are handy as a beginner. Less snow in the eyes when you stack it.

Ski pants and ski jacket.

Snow boots or wellies/boots with a really decent tread. Regular wellies will get you killed on the icey bits. I got a pair in Snow and Rock for �25 10 yrs ago so you don't have to spend silly money and they are dead handy for commuting in when it snows in London.

Where are you going and in what month? Jan is often freezing in the high Alps eg over 2000m but a lower resort won't be so exposed.

PestoStormissimos Thu 08-Jan-15 15:16:01

Don't forget lip balm for your pocket and high factor sunscreen!

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 08-Jan-15 15:21:51

and if you moisturise before hitting the slopes make sure it is oil based

hillbilly Thu 08-Jan-15 23:02:36

Thanks everyone. We are goingnto Meribel at the end of Feb. it's a friend's gaff so she knows the area and the slopes inside out - not that I will be ventured further than the nursery slopes I imagine!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 09-Jan-15 10:37:49

Top Shop and M&S both do ski gear but I'd also have a look on ebay etc depending on what size you are. The problem with ski gear is that it is pretty pricey, so even if you've worn the same stuff for 10 yrs it's only had about 10 weeks worth of wear so it's hard to justify buying new stuff unless your size has changed. Most people who regularly ski end up with a selection of stuff particularly by buying plain black salopettes and a colourful jacket or the other way around.
A bright colour or vivid hat is really handy for spotting people on the slopes so I wouldn't automatically discount a good value decent branded jacket on ebay just because its tangerine orange grin. Salopettes can be trickier as the fabric often gets sliced in the inside section just above the ankle by the skis so check for pictures that they are undamaged.

I should have said - if you are offered a "shell" coat - that's perfectly fine but you will need extra layers. A properly woolly jumper.

If you need to buy thermals, look out for merino. They are more expensive but as the wool is breathable it gets less whiffy when you wear them a couple of days in a row.

PatriciaHolm Fri 09-Jan-15 11:53:42

tangerine orange is the colour of the moment I found this year! DS has bright orange trousers and I thought they would make him easy to spot, but no they are everywhere!

Ski clothes are rarely stylish ;-)

Iamblossom Fri 09-Jan-15 11:57:15

Primark sell good base layers for skiing I have discovered...

hillbilly Fri 09-Jan-15 12:10:20

Tangerine orange would do me just fine!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 09-Jan-15 13:31:40

I can offer navy and cream if you are in London and a size 8-10? Can't see myself getting into them again sad

Trickydecision Sat 10-Jan-15 16:43:44

Trot off to Poundworld and pick up some handwarmers to put in your gloves. Four sachets for £1. Poundland had sold out here, but the same price for four.

hillbilly Sun 11-Jan-15 08:06:37

THanks Very much Treadsoftly. I am in London. I'll pm you now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now