Talk

Advanced search

Family ski holiday in Italy

(4 Posts)
ZLSP2014 Tue 06-Jan-15 09:53:32

We are planning a family ski holiday for 2015 Xmas or 2016 New Year.

I have heard many good things about skiing in Italy, i.e. friendly people, nice food, less expensive than other Alps resorts, south-facing slopes, shorter lift queue and so on, so decided to give Italy a go. But after searching various ski/travel websites, it appears it's very difficult to find a resort that ticks the following boxes...

Snowsure in late December
Suitable for beginner/intermediate skier
Family friendly
Not too far away from an airport
Nice scenery
Offers non-ski activities

Does anyone know if such Italian ski resort exists?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

massistar Tue 06-Jan-15 11:31:44

We're skiing in The Dolomites at half term in a little resort called Alba di Canazei. It doesn't meet all of your criteria but we've been before and loved it. The downsides of longer transfers are offset by the fact that it's so much friendlier in Italy.. In cafes, on the lifts etc.

The resort is suitable for beginners and is very family friendly. But there's not much in the way of non-skiing. Somewhere like Moena is bigger and has more to do.

ZLSP2014 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:48:53

Thank you, massistar.

I did a quick search on Alba di Canazei and it is indeed a good resort for our ski abilities. As my parents will come with us for the trip and they don't ski, I do need to find somewhere that offers things to do for non-skier, but we may go there in the future. May I ask where you booked your Feb half term holiday and which hotel you will stay in?

I checked a few more Italian resorts and quite like Courmayeur, but many reviews mentioned it doesn't really suit beginners, so I will have to keep looking.

It will be highly appreciated if others could give more suggestions.

Many thanks.

massistar Wed 07-Jan-15 15:39:32

No worries. We stayed here last time:

www.alpinoalcavalletto.it/ and this year we are staying here www.hotelvillarosella.it/

We loved the first one but it was fully booked this year. Typical little Italian family run hotel with lovely food. We book independently so just flights to Treviso with Ryanair and then private bus transfer. My DH is Italian which helps :-)

Madonna di Campiglio and Cortina d'Ampezzo are 2 bigger resorts, have visited Cortina but didn't ski there.

My husband has been to Livigno a few times and we have friends who swear by Cervinia and go there every year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now