Talk

Advanced search

Shall I take the kids out of school? Feb half term.

(25 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Thu 11-Dec-14 16:03:30

I'm so tempted! If we went Thurs to Thurs would save nearly £1000 on flights for four of us!

Year 5 and 9 - one would miss 2 days and the other 1 as last day of term is an inset day.

I'm normally dead against it but the frugal side of me plus desire to ski is taking me this year!!

MincePieDiet Thu 11-Dec-14 16:18:54

Yes. Take them out.

Jungfraujoch Thu 11-Dec-14 16:19:45

Thanks for the thumbs up mince pie!

youbethemummylion Thu 11-Dec-14 16:20:26

Do it, those days of school wont be worth £1000.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 11-Dec-14 16:26:18

We're taking DS1 out for 6 days! Saving us a fortune. He is only in Year 2 though, but I think 2 days is absolutely fine even with older DCs.

SoonToBeSix Thu 11-Dec-14 16:30:38

Yes, you won't get fined for two days.

DaisyFitz Fri 12-Dec-14 11:09:49

I'm doing it - the week before half-term - and I'm a governor! lol

Jungfraujoch Fri 12-Dec-14 16:50:59

Controversial DaisyFitz! How old are you kids though?

DontGotoRoehamptonUniversity Fri 12-Dec-14 19:22:26

Definitely! My own DC are now sulky teenagers, and I am so glad we had the lovely fun times when they were so little - childhood is too short to miss out on, I hug those lovely moments when they were so excited by snow...

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 14-Dec-14 20:25:25

Do it!

We're taking ours out for a week (years 2 and 4). I'm a Governor too!

flashheartscanoe Mon 15-Dec-14 11:26:33

Mine are all secondary school and we are going Friday morning so missing a day. I think its well worth it.
Be careful about accommodation though...unless you have a place to stay already it can be tricky finding something that doesn't changeover at the weekend.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 15-Dec-14 11:31:08

Yes do it. It is only a couple of days. Neither child are at a crucial exam time.
I used to be very against term time holidays but I am realising that for children with good attendance it isn't the end of the world for them to miss a couple of days at non crucial parts of the school year.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 15-Dec-14 11:32:56

Yes, you won't get fined for two days.

There are a few regions which fine for even one day. Most areas it is 5 days minimum, but not everywhere. Either way the fine will be much less than OPs saving.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 15-Dec-14 13:40:12

We're likely to get fined for taking our primary aged dc out of school for a week to go on a skiing holiday.

When they get to comprehensive school, they'll have the chance to go on a week long skiing trip run by the school during term time. We won't get fined for that though.

If them missing a week of school when I book the holiday is so disruptive, why isn't it when the school take them (nowhere near the whole school goes obviously)? confused

Mrscog Mon 15-Dec-14 13:43:34

For two days do it!

Jungfraujoch Mon 15-Dec-14 14:10:00

Accommodation isn't a problem as we stay in a friend's place. Think the boys will be 'developing' a bad cold approaching half term wink

Trickydecision Wed 17-Dec-14 20:03:40

Yes take them. We have done it twice and DH was a headteacher at the time (different holidays ). Try to persuade school that they will be in all day ski school and it can do down officially as 'education off site' for the stats.

SkiDilemma Sat 03-Jan-15 12:42:42

I'm doing this! dds similar age. I got Geneva flights for £300 for all four of us... but then it was almost impossible to get accommodation that wasn't a Saturday start. Be careful. where would you stay?

SkiDilemma Sat 03-Jan-15 12:43:22

doh! sorry, didn't read upthread!

wetotter Sat 03-Jan-15 12:45:52

Jungfraujoch - going to your namesake? Lucky you!

Unless small miracle occurs, we won't be going at all this year.

Stillwishihadabs Sat 03-Jan-15 12:47:19

Love the educated off site thing. smile

Roseformeplease Sat 03-Jan-15 12:49:30

Not if you are going to tell lies about it. Also, parents who do this cause immense hassle and stress for over-worked teachers. Pupils miss things, classes are disrupted, teachers are expected to achieve results (by parents) when children are absent.

Yes, it is only a lie, only a couple of days, but I think school, like work, is a commitment worth honouring. If you want to have flexibility then HE or move to Scotland where kids are missing constantly from my school ( no fines here).

But then, as a teacher, we can only go on holidays during holiday time that we can afford. I wouldn't even calculate the price for travelling earlier because it would not be an option.

RufusTheReindeer Sat 03-Jan-15 12:57:59

I would do it if they are in primary

I wouldn't lie about it but I wouldn't criticise any one who does

Finola1step Sat 03-Jan-15 13:01:52

Do it but don't lie. You will put your dc in a position where they can't talk about their holiday afterwards. Just apply for leave but expect to be turned down.

Philoslothy Sat 03-Jan-15 13:07:09

I am quite shocked that a headteacher who has a lot of holiday would take his children on holiday during term time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now