Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Good value kit for 14YO novice?

(12 Posts)
momb Tue 25-Nov-14 13:05:12

Please be gentle: I don't want her to freeze but don't want to spend as much on kit as we have on the trip!
She's off snowboarding with school at HTerm to Italy. No kit list provided yet in spite of requests.
They will provide boots, board and helmet and we provide 'the rest'.
What is 'the rest what brands are good enough quality without being stuffed with phoenix down, and what features are necessary: for example I can't tell the difference between a kids anorak that calls itself a ski jacket and a ski jacket ? If she likes it I will happily sanction/enable regular indoor slope time here in the UK for the next few months so the clothes may get some wear...but if she doesn't then it will be a one-holiday outfit!
Thanks in advance

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 25-Nov-14 13:14:46

Look out for Aldi, Lidl ski offerings, TK Maxx, Ebay.

For snowboarding, spend as much as you can on gloves, preferably mitts as she will spend half her time with her hands in the snow on the first few days, padded shorts are also a good idea (possibly cycling shorts). I wouldn't learn without wrist guards either and would consider a back protector. If she is going at half term, you can sell on ebay for the Easter school trip first timers.

After that, a snow skirt on the jacket is a good idea and high waisted trousers to avoid snow getting to the under layers.

momb Tue 25-Nov-14 13:18:00

Thanks for the quick reply
Forgive my ignorance: what's a snow skirt: does that just mean a loneger line jacket or is it a special feature?

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 25-Nov-14 13:23:26

A snow skirt is an extra layer like this which stops the snow getting up under your jacket.

Only going on my own experience, if you fall alot, especially in heavy snow, that can be a problem, some cheaper kids jackets like H&M for example don't always have them.

CQ Tue 25-Nov-14 13:25:34

You'll need a proper ski jacket & trousers as she will spend plenty of time on her arse and flat on her back as a beginner, so needs to be waterproof and warm. Waterproof gloves also essential.

Thin layers that she can pile up are easier for mobility, so a base layer and a wicking top under the ski jacket should be fine by Feb half term. (Xmas/NY skiing is much colder) These don't have to be ski-specific ones, just any base layers & sports wicking tops are fine.

Decathlon is your best bet, if you can get to one. Good prices, good gear. They have own brand stuff which is perfectly adequate for a beginner, and the odd bit of branded stuff at higher prices, e.g. North Face

Also look on local Ebay or Gumtree sites. Teenage ski gear is rarely worn out and can be great value. I've been trying to sell DS's Spyder salopettes to no avail and they're in fab condition and were chuffing expensive to start with.

Chopstheduck Tue 25-Nov-14 13:28:17

I bought all of dd's from eBay. She was coming up to 14 when we went, so I could get away with some small ladies stuff. I found a decent jacket and gloves, and then gap trousers.

TBH, kids tend to pick it up a lot quicker, so she might not be on her bottom too much! dd was flying down the slope after a few hours. Couldn't stop very well, but she stayed upright!

momb Tue 25-Nov-14 13:36:12

Thank you all very much.

She skateboards and castorboards very well so hopefully she'll get the hang of snowboarding before getting too injured/bruised!

museumum Tue 25-Nov-14 13:38:43

Have you got a decathlon near you? that's fantastic for ski stuff - all the french kids are decked out in it. cheap and decent quality. my ds will be wearing decathlon till he stops growing out of stuff.

museumum Tue 25-Nov-14 13:39:38

sorry, should have said in case you don't know, decathlon only sell their own brand stuff but it's usually made in the same factories as expensive stuff. their ski brand is 'wedze'.

LIZS Sun 30-Nov-14 08:21:21

Also worth looking at here. Look out for snow trousers with a higher waist band and reinforced bum and a jacket with snow skirt to avoid a wet lower back when she falls/sits in slushy snow. Decathlon do sell branded skiwear, mainly adult sizes, but at 14 she may prefer them anyway. We've had some great buys from ebay, bargain designer names, especially if you look over Christmas when attention is elsewhere.

MummaMinnie Wed 03-Dec-14 10:32:33

Also check out Mountain Warehouse www.mountainwarehouse.com as they have good deals on all outdoor gear including ski. Like Decathlon they make their own stuff but we've found it to be good quality. We have been buying DD's thermals from here for the last few years - they contain merino wool and keep her nice and warm and they're breathable too.

Keep an ear out for second hand stuff.

306235388 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:36:41

Aldi have Ski stuff coming out tmro

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now