(24 Posts)
Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 15:19:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 15:20:00

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 16:05:09

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 18:23:53

Buy the best quality you can afford -perhaps a down filled jacket or a ski jacket/trousers by Columbia, Helly Hansen etc I've been known to wear a fleece layer (sleevelss for less bulk) under a two in one jacket (which would probably be more use to you afterwards) plus thermals etc. Make sure it is windproof and water proof, has a good zip and secure cuffs to keep out the draughts!

It may yet be early to look but stores like H and M also do good value for money and warm skiwear , probably from around end of October or discount websites like these . Don't forget warm gloves boots and hats too ! This week Tchibo have had their kids suits @ £20 & snowboots. Buy large and layer with fleece from Tesco.

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 18:25:44

Length wise whatever is comfortable. I prefer longer, woith waist and bottom draw cords, but if you have salopettes underneath it could cut shorter.

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 19:08:58

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 19:18:52

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 19:58:45

Surprisingly ok for the price (I had a snug all in one a few years back). Not sure how hard wearing though.

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 19:59:20

oh and Dare2Be is the winterwear arm of Regatta.

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 20:34:43

Legacy Wed 04-Oct-06 20:38:53

My children hve worn Trespass & Dare2Be and both seem good quality for kids wear. I have also skiied in Canada and it can be VERY cold, so go for lots of layers. Thin fleeces (others too bulky). Thermals - Peter Storm from Milletts are reasonably priced.

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 20:44:02

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 20:46:32

Make sure it is windproof, waterproof and breathable preferably. Bulk is no guarantee of warmth as fabrics/fillings have got a lot more sophisticated. You may well get a bargain but usually the original price is an indicator - a £30(full price) one is unlikely to be as "good" as a £75+ one(especially if Goretex or equivalent) but for the price and what you need is probably fine. Allow for extra layers underneath in case it is seriously cold though.

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 20:48:17

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 20:51:13

Easier to go to the loo in ski trousers ! Especially vital if the cold gets to you and you need to go quick! Some salopettes have detachable straps to give you the option (I've got Columbia's like that).

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 20:56:12

Mine are similar to this . Very warm with thermal leggings underneath !

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 20:56:58

LIZS Wed 04-Oct-06 21:01:54

Just been looking at the jackets there too - lovely white one with furry hood ! Never bought from there though. Kids' stuff too big for your ds.

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 21:03:05

Legacy Wed 04-Oct-06 21:31:29

Oh, WW - mostly east coast Montreal/ Quebec really, so Tremblant etc.

But did go to Whistler (FAB!) and also somewhere else (Squaw?) but think that was US actually?

I've always foudn Canadian skiing so much better than Europe (at least big French resorts etc) - They had tissues at the bottom of the chair lift for you to wipe your dripping nose!!

MrLSG Wed 04-Oct-06 22:38:42

Just before Xmas is going to be cold. Calgary probably only down to -10C, but Edmonton -20C or less. What you really need is decent warm base layers, and good warm trousers and coat. Waterproof ideally, but not necesary as nothing is going to melt at those temperatures!

Actually I'd recommend waiting until you get there, and then hitting one of the (indoor) malls. It will be cheaper than in the UK and the clothes will be far more appropriate for the climate.

If you BIL/SIL live there, can't then give you some pointers?

Waswondering Wed 04-Oct-06 22:56:52

LIZS Sat 07-Oct-06 15:59:34

There is also some reduced Columbia stuff here

Waswondering Mon 09-Oct-06 19:19:40

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: