Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Week Skiing Please

(30 Posts)
Lifeisforlivingkatie Mon 06-Oct-14 20:50:57

Please can you suggest good family christmas week skiing. We have an 8 year old with us. We did esprit in Val d sere last christmas. Good child care but not a nice Chalet. Somewhere where they make a fuss for the kids christmas.well DS is 8 years & DD19 years old kids can do reds and blacks. I can do easy reds. DP is an expert.

PatriciaHolm Tue 07-Oct-14 11:13:13

Look at Premiere Neige in Sainte Foy. Great resort and all feedback I've heard is good (we use a private chalet so no personal experience other than of the nannies)

Reallyfeelingmyage Wed 08-Oct-14 13:35:33

Recommend going high as Xmas not always that reliable. Have you thought of trying Le Ski - they are an excellent family run chalet company?

Lifeisforlivingkatie Wed 08-Oct-14 19:50:02

Some replies at Last, thank you no St foy is near val I think, will look it up, no I had never heard of Le ski. I will research that too. Please keep suggestions coming.

tanya1010 Fri 10-Oct-14 22:29:30

Had about 4 christmas weeks in Austria. Seefeld, St Johann in Tyrol, Obergurgul and Zell Am See. Obergurgul best for snow and skiing but Zell Am See and St Johann in Tirol best for kids and christmas atmosphere. Austria just has that majic and charm that other places lack. Christmas there is much more traditional

Lifeisforlivingkatie Sat 11-Oct-14 19:04:04

Thank you Tanya, considering the kids and DP are better skiers is Obergurgal a better option for us? Is it higher than lech and st Aton? Not been to Austria but I keep hearing good things.

Lifeisforlivingkatie Sat 11-Oct-14 20:02:11

Thank you Tanya, considering the kids and DP are better skiers is Obergurgal a better option for us? Is it higher than lech and st Aton? Not been to Austria but I keep hearing good things.

tanya1010 Sun 12-Oct-14 23:44:55

Think Obergurgul is Austria's highest resort Katie, but in my opinion not as pretty as other places. But just for skiing it is very good

tanya1010 Mon 13-Oct-14 00:01:17

You would not regret Austria Katie. For me it has everything

Lifeisforlivingkatie Fri 17-Oct-14 19:04:29

There must be some more skiing families???

Chocovore Wed 05-Nov-14 14:54:07

We skied la Rosiere last. Xmas". BOught a bargain apartment on Ebay. Lots for the children to do.

slalomsuki Wed 05-Nov-14 15:02:25

We always go at Christmas and last year went to Obergurgl. It was great and certainly better than France but not very pretty. Switzerland was better the year before but very expensive. This year we are doing St Anton where I haven't skied for 20 years so that will be an experience.

Johnogroats Wed 05-Nov-14 17:40:37

We go to France - and will be there at Christmas. I can't really advise on operators, but our local town has Father Christmas abseiling down the Town Hall and giving out sweets, and then he appeared on the slopes on Christmas Day in horse drawn sledge. Not sure this happens every year, but I was pretty impressed. That was Les Orres.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 05-Nov-14 17:42:16

The esprit chalet in courchevel is very nice and its also high up altitude wise.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 05-Nov-14 17:44:21

Also look at their La Plagne chalet. I've been with Esprit to their val disere chalet and La Plagne and Courcheval chalets. The latter two are a world apart from Val disere in terms of being more modern, better facilities.

slalomsuki Wed 05-Nov-14 19:37:17

We did Esprit one Christmas at Courcheval and I agree the location is great and as it was the first year they were there they did have Santa and a sleigh arrive outside.

Courcheval is very expensive though even to stop for a coffee. The only ski resort I know of with a Chanel shop half way down a ski slope just in case you feel the urge to shop.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 05-Nov-14 19:47:14

We were in Courcheval two years ago after 10 years away and I was amazed by how expensive it was compared to how it used to be. Ten years previously we'd had lunch piste side in 1800. Beer and pizza for ten euros. Went back to the same place and it was 28 euros for a burger.

Ended up having baguettes from the indoor shopping centre place.

However the toboggan run down to 1500 makes up for the prices. I could happly toboggan all day instead of skiing. In fact I did one day!

Lifeisforlivingkatie Thu 06-Nov-14 19:50:30

Thank you mumsnet this is very valuable feedback, Viva it's the esprit chalet in Val d'Isere that has put me off esprit. We did esprit in Tignes and the chalet was nice but tigne itself was not pretty. So maybe Coursheval is the way to go. I have had prices from mark Warner, St Anton, ski total lech and someone else in Coursheval all similar prices to Valdisere. Anyone stayed with any of them?

Lifeisforlivingkatie Thu 06-Nov-14 19:53:07

Thank you mumsnet this is very valuable feedback, Viva it's the esprit chalet in Val d'Isere that has put me off esprit. We did esprit in Tignes and the chalet was nice but tigne itself was not pretty. So maybe Coursheval is the way to go. I have had prices from mark Warner, St Anton, ski total lech and someone else in Coursheval all similar prices to Valdisere. Anyone stayed with any of them?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 06-Nov-14 21:18:02

The chalets at val disere and La Plagne are like comparing a Travel Lodge and The Hilton.

The rooms are much nicer, comfier beds, nicer bedding, flat screen TV, mini fridge, bigger rooms. There's a pool and hot tubs and a sauna.

The downside is the bar is in the lobby which I didnt like. There also isn't enough seating for everyone in the dining room so evening meal was in two sittings which I hated.

We actually went back to val disere twice but I wouldn't have gone back to La Plagne.

Courchevel was kind of in-between standard wise. Lovely piste side location but you'd need to be able to ski to get into 1850 really. It would be a 30 min walk but they did put on minibuses in the evening. Pool, sauna. Nicer rooms than val disere.

Lifeisforlivingkatie Thu 06-Nov-14 21:34:06

That's interesting, I will look at esprit in Coursheval, shame about lack if skiing in for beginners. Looking forward to lech visitors making comments for us.

Eastwickwitch Thu 06-Nov-14 21:39:07

Does it need to be a chalet?
https://www.hotel-riml.com/en we stayed here with the DC and it was great.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 06-Nov-14 21:45:18

We've spent 3 Christmasses in morzine which is a lovely town with a great atmosphere.

Twice the snow has been fine, once not so good. Avoriaz is very close though, and even more accessible this hear with the lift improvements that are being done in time for this winter.

Our Christmasses have been booked with independent chalet operators and the hosts have always made a fuss of our dc. Father Christmas visits Morzine on Christmas Eve and there's a big skiing and firework display on the main piste into town.

Our other ski holidays tend to be with Family Ski Company. If yours don't need ski school then I wouldn't recommend them.

slalomsuki Fri 07-Nov-14 09:45:54

We ski every Christmas and have done for the last few years.

Sass Fee was by far and away the most Christmassy with snow on Christmas Day and ski instructors doing a fireworks display on the nursery slope and giving out mulled wine

Obergurgl was the least Christmassy, almost as if it wasn't celebrated.

Courcheval with Esprit was fine and they did do some effort with the kids who all got a present. They managed to get everyone in to the dinning room on Christmas Day and I have to say Christmas dinner was good.

La Rosiere was OK but the snow wasn't so good. Did go to the St Bernard museum on Christmas Day which was different.

This year is Austria again in St Anton. Kids are older so they are actually looking for a lie in and a relaxed day.

Lifeisforlivingkatie Fri 07-Nov-14 19:06:00

Thank you again, no it does not need to be a chalet. Slalomsuki thank you for the Insight. St Anton is near lech I think. How easy are transfers to Sass Fee?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now