Talk

Advanced search

If you wear glasses, what happens when you ski?

(15 Posts)
TheFantasticMrsFox Fri 26-Sep-14 08:23:45

No need to point out I am a complete novice grin
DS(10) is going skiing with the school next Easter. He is shortsighted and wears glasses all the time but could get by without them at a push (though he would be very unhappy to do so. As someone else with really bad vision I completely understand this)
When he skis can he wear his glasses under his goggles, will he be advised to ski without them or is there such a thing as prescription ski goggles?

HamNJam Fri 26-Sep-14 08:28:05

I have a pair of goggles that are especially for wearing over glasses - they are extra deep to accommodate glasses. And unless you're bothered to inspect them they don't look any different from normal goggles (only from the side can you see the depth).

Please make sure he skis with his glasses on! Obviously much safer for him and others around him.

TheFantasticMrsFox Sat 27-Sep-14 09:38:18

Thank you ham smile
A quick Google tells me that prescription goggles are available and start at about £50.
I was banking on getting a cheap set from Aldi but, unless they do specific glasses suitable ones I will end up spending quite a lot more anyway.
Given the rapturous reception the prescription swimming goggles got they may be a decent Christmas gift grin

LIZS Sat 27-Sep-14 09:44:52

At Easter he is more likely to need sunglasses than goggles.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sat 27-Sep-14 09:48:01

I just wore adult googles that would go over my glasses.

Billynomates71 Sat 27-Sep-14 09:50:04

Look fir OTG goggles, stands for over the glasses. Both my ds's (7&6) and my dh use them with no problem . I wear contacts when skiing.

Flexibilityisquay Sat 27-Sep-14 09:50:28

DS (age 7) has some prescription sunglasses. He ski's in them.

Christelle2207 Sat 27-Sep-14 09:50:56

I wear contacts for skiing and swimming.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 27-Sep-14 09:50:56

He may well take his goggles off at lunchtime, and probably won't wear them between the hotel and the slopes. Ones to fit over his glasses would probably work best. He might want sunglasses at that time of year, does he have prescription ones?

Christelle2207 Sat 27-Sep-14 09:52:29

I don't think it's worth investing in expensive goggles. I've only worn goggles in very cold/blizzard conditions. Especially at Easter he would likely get away with decent wraparound sunglasses.

FairyPenguin Sat 04-Oct-14 19:52:19

I tried goggles over glasses the first time I skiied and got so fed up of them steaming up (both goggles and glasses). I now wear contacts only when skiing but always wear goggles when I ski as find the cold air dries my contacts/eyes out too much. If I had prescription skiing goggles then I would take my glasses in a hard case for lunchtimes/breaks.

UniS Sun 02-Nov-14 21:17:09

OTG goggles will be cheaper than prescription wrap round shades. They can be used again if he skis again or for tobogganing
You may find that adult goggles would fit him OTG. DS is 8 and wears adult goggles which are comparable with his helmet, kids size ones were not.

UniS Sun 02-Nov-14 21:19:02

Decathlon have OTG s at about 12, hardly any more expensive than lidl standard ones.

Chocovore Wed 05-Nov-14 14:52:02

You only tend to wear goggles when it is snowing so he might not need them at all. My youngest is massively longsighted and needs to wear his glasses to ski. He just wears an adult pair of normal goggles over if necessary. Try out a few pairs and see if they fit ok.

molesbreath Wed 05-Nov-14 14:55:09

I wear goggles all the time as I find sunglasses within my helmet are uncomfortable.

But I'm not used .to wearing glasses so might be unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now