Talk

Advanced search

Snow Chains vs Snow Socks

(5 Posts)
Carol1379 Wed 24-Sep-14 16:59:24

Driving to Les Arcs in Easter 2015, can anyone advise if we can use Snow Socks rather than Chains, not sure where to look for the info

Thanks advise would much help x

MsHerodotus Tue 21-Oct-14 19:44:05

Have driven numerous times, and have on several occasions needed chains.
I do not recommend socks. We tried those once, total waste of time and money, they came off, and we ended up having to put on chains.
I really do recommend getting the right size chains, practise putting them on a flat surface before you go - the modern ones are actually very straightforward and colour-coded, but do it before you really have to in a blizzard in the dark in France...
Was very proud of the DC when they insisted we stop to help some people who were struggling. DC were 12 and 10, but were well-trained grin.

Carol1379 Thu 30-Oct-14 15:05:41

Thanks for reply, we have now borrowed snow chains and had them on and off at the weekend !! Thanks for advise, may even chat nearer time as we have always flow, need tips for driving x

swantail Sat 01-Nov-14 15:55:48

Ye . I think chains are much better for actually driving on snow.
Socks can be fine in the UK for getting from a more rural area to the main roads, but not much use for longer drives.
I second the advice to try in in the dry before you need them.

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Sat 01-Nov-14 18:51:33

I would also add that if you will be going every year, or even when driving in icy conditions in the UK, it might be worth getting winter tyres.
Last winter was able to avoid putting chains when driving on snow up to hotels in Meribel and Zurs because the winter tyres grip well. I had the chains with me, because if you have to stop, may not be possible to restart without chains, but they did save ma a load of hassle...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now