Talk

Advanced search

skiing for the first time - need advice please

(3 Posts)
catkin14 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:10:46

I am thinking of taking my 15 year old DS, his girlfriend and my other 2 older DS's skiing in the christmas holidays or february half term.
We have never been before and I have no idea where to start - hotel or SC, where to go and is it possible to do on a budget?
I just need to do a different life to the one I had before divorce and this seems a good start!
Ideas or experiences please?

Jinglebells99 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:16:44

Sounds exciting. I don't ski but have just got back from a lovely hotel in Zell am See Austria which is also a winter ski resort. My friend has skied there and rents a chalet which is a cheaper option. I loved it there. Great food, beautiful scenery.

PauletteTheTart Mon 01-Dec-14 12:36:56

Firstly: skiing is not cheap!

However, there is no need for beginners to head for top class resorts and you can save a fortune by heading for places like Bulgaria or The Pyrénées (my favourite - I live there in winter).

For 5 of you, it may be more economical to rent an apartment and drive if you have a large enough vehicle rather than take a package and pay for three hotel rooms. If you go for a package, look for deals on lessons and lift passes and bear in mind that beginners don't necessarily get good value from a lift pass so a resort with a beginner's pass (nursery slopes only) can save a fair bit. At present I'd advise Spring half-term as early season snow is literally a bit thin on the ground at the moment but bear in mind that school holidays mean busier slopes and higher prices although I believe Spain and Italy don't have their own half-term holidays.

I wish you well and hope you all enjoy the most exhilarating way of seeing the world's best scenery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now