Talk

Advanced search

Car seat hire from Geneva - which companies are good/bad?

(14 Posts)
BranchingOut Mon 10-Oct-11 08:59:23

We are thinking of skiing in the Geneva region over Christmas. Have you ever hired a car with a group 1 car seat?

Which car-hire companies were reliable in terms of supplying a good quality seat?

Taking our own is not an option for us - long story.

nametapes Tue 11-Oct-11 09:39:43

sorry, . . . i cant advice about child seats at Geneva, but I would imagine with the huge amount of cars hired from Geneva Airport , that they have also a provision of child car seats to go with them. I spose you will have to get in touch with each hire firm to check.
Where are you skiing?
We fly to Geneva and ski in Megeve every year.

BranchingOut Tue 11-Oct-11 12:06:20

I know that they will give you the option of a car seat, but you do hear nightmares of people turning up to find old/broken seats etc.

Have you hired a car seat elsewhere?

eaglewings Tue 11-Oct-11 12:14:40

Have only hired cars frence side in Geneva, but have seen people returning car seats to the desk and they looked to be good ones but I don't know which car hire company sorry
The bad ones I have come across have been in places like Canaries and Cyprus.
If the car seat is not up to much you could refuse it and pop to a nearby supermarket and buy a new one for the same amount of money!

eaglewings Tue 11-Oct-11 12:15:23

French side sorry blush

PatriciaHolm Wed 12-Oct-11 13:39:56

We had no problem with ones from Sixt for several years, though that was 3+ years ago now.

BranchingOut Thu 13-Oct-11 15:34:29

Thanks for the tip, was that from Geneva?

greygirl Thu 13-Oct-11 16:01:34

we're going to geneva soon, and the cost of car seat hire (for 3 kids) is extortionate. it is cheaper for us to pack an extra suitcase (and pay easyjet's fee for this) and fill it with 3 carseats.

however easyjet definately hire them (have just read the last bit of your post).
i think you can transport babies in car seats on the plane if given their own seat, but i'm not too sure about that.

PatriciaHolm Thu 13-Oct-11 23:58:36

Yes, from Geneva, though we are now at the stage of carrying boosters. But we did hire seats for about 3 years with no problems.

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 00:14:55

Any of the reputable companies, such as Sixt or Europcar should be ok.

Do remember that if you hire a car on the French side that it may not have a vignette (Swiss motorway sticker). If you are going to be on the Swiss motorways, then you will need one.

eaglewings Fri 14-Oct-11 18:24:53

Try carehire3000 at Geneva, it can work out cheaper and reliable

No car I have ever hired french side has ever had the sticker for Swiss motorways even though I have returned them with one!

Amateurish Tue 25-Oct-11 11:25:42

Take a car seat with you - they are normally carried free of charge on the plane.

skifalloverrepeat Tue 25-Oct-11 17:27:19

I hired two from Hertz - surely supposedly the top end? - and they were shocking. My advice would be to call a car hire company and specify that you expect it to be clean, new and fit for purpose, and ask them to send a service message to the French office.

BTW, MAKE SURE the Frenchies winterise your car - it's standard on the Swiss side - but we had frozen diesel in Val d'Isere one year because of this...

skifalloverrepeat Tue 25-Oct-11 17:28:17

To clarify, should have said 'because the hire company failed to do this...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now