Talk

Advanced search

Snowboard boots - Difficult to walk in?

(6 Posts)
VirgoGrr Wed 21-Sep-11 18:08:52

Have been looking for some decent boots in preparation for the winter. Need to be waterproof, WARM (cold feet martyr) and reasonably comfortable for outside work.

Most of the snow boots I've found online are a bit rubbish and don't come up very high. If the doom-mongering about this winters snow is to be believed, I'd like them to be a bit higher than ankle length.

Have found a number of snowboard boots for sale on eBay, was just wondering if they are grippy on snow/ice and can you reasonably walk in them? As much as wellies, for instance.

Have never skied or snowboarded, so I have no idea really.
Thanks if anyone has any advice.

madwomanintheattic Wed 21-Sep-11 18:16:54

look for baffin. loads of styles, often rated down to -45 or so. i live in the rocky mountains in canada and know loads of folk who live in them all winter.

wouldn't go near snowsports boots if you aren't actually partaking. they are designed for the sport and nowt else. there are zillions of boarders in this neck of the woods and you never see them wearing their board boots off the slope. has to be some reason for that!

baffin are great though. grin

OneMoreMum Wed 21-Sep-11 18:34:00

We snowboard, although they are lovely and warm and waterproof, and from what I can see much better than ski boots to walk in (they do have some give), they are still designed to keep your ankles in an almost completely fixed position. The sole is also very inflexible so not what you're looking for I imagine!

VirgoGrr Wed 21-Sep-11 21:20:06

Excellent advice from both of you. Thank you for stopping me making a stupid purchase. That's kind of the response I was expecting really.

I've had a quick look for Baffin and they look exactly like the kind of thing I'm after. Will be on a mission to find some tall ones at a knock down price. smile

madwomanintheattic Wed 21-Sep-11 21:35:16

the men's ones are often higher - no idea if your feet are big enough to wear them though! dh has some v tall ones.

greygirl Thu 22-Sep-11 12:55:21

I have a pair of snowboots from patagonia that are very nice, but were expensive - I figure i will them for a few weeks every year till I do, so in about 3 years time the cost per wear will be acceptable. Warm feet are important!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now