Talk

Advanced search

Where is good to ski during the Easter holidays with primary age dcs?

(10 Posts)
nowwearefour Wed 21-Sep-11 14:08:21

WHere is high and family friendly? We were wondering whether we could go to the US or Canada - would there be snow anywhere there that late? Also, we are not that great skiers ourselves so priority is beginner and next level up skiing for adults. thinking of saving for a trip of a lifetime so woudl rather go to somewhere special !

Also are chalets the best accom for families when skiing?

greygirl Thu 22-Sep-11 13:02:20

the answer to your questions are:
1) lots of places are high and family friendly, not all are cheap (exp at school holiday time). Ocergurgl in austria is often quoted, we love snowbizz at puy st vincent and tignes would also do (but can be a little too high with very small children).

2)there will still be snow in canada till june, but glaciers in tignes and kaprun also allow summer skiing.Canada is fab, and if your kids can cope with the travel it would be fab. you might not get a lot out of it though if you are all beginners/early intermediates.

3) Lots of people love chalets, lots hate them. It depends - do you relish the thought of sitting down to eat with approx 20 people you do not know? Is money an issue?(and chalets come in all price ranges).
I love going self catering because we can eat when WE want, and with the children (rather than a separate adult meal). Some people adore hotels because they want spas and fancy stuff.

Snowbizz could be just what you are looking for - high and very good for families. Or you could be looking for esprit - chalets, and more choice of resorts. Or maybe whistler in canada (which is where i am going for my 40th i think)

So what is your budget? eating preferences? childcare requirements?

greygirl Thu 22-Sep-11 13:03:02

esp at school holiday time. Not exp - blimey that would be good wouldn't it!

nowwearefour Thu 22-Sep-11 14:41:06

Canada sounds great! We have done a chalet before but we had sole occupancy as a group so i have amazing memories of it ! the thought of having to cook after skiiing does not appeal, although we always go for self catering on all other holidays for the reasons you suggest! we would want our 4 and 6 yr old to have a go at skiing but probn wouldnt put them into a club for the rest of the time. will check out snowbizz and esprit. thanks! we'll have to seriously save up for this (and prbio have no hol next year to be able to do it so want to make sure have researched it properly!)

greygirl Thu 22-Sep-11 15:08:59

I think I may have done snowbizz to death on other threads (so i do apologise to those of you yawning) but it is really good (no i am not on commission) for families - the resort is small and the appartments are really close to the skischool, the creche, the (3!) restaurants. There is a catered option but other people have said they found that quite a lot of food.
I don't cook exciting stuff - pasta, rice that sort of thing, and my husband helps so it isn't an issue. and we eat out a couple of nights.

There are lots of family ski companies - there will be reviews on this site i am certain. It comes down to cost and what catering you require.

if i had the money i'd probably go to verbier but it would break my heart to pay that much for my kids lift passes (and for a beer after!)

jicky Thu 22-Sep-11 20:37:31

If you are thinking of Canada, look into Big White and Silver Star. They are brilliant for families. At 4 & 6 they could both do ski school, half day or all day and there is lots to do apart from skiing, tubing, skating, ice climbing, mini snow mobiles, dog sleds. The ski school is brilliant for kids and the adult lessons pretty good too.

They have extended the season by a week next year, right up to the end of our school Easter holidays. There has been so much snow at the end of the last few seasons that they are running later.

We are going to Big White next easter and have been for the past 5 years.

nowwearefour Sun 25-Sep-11 19:20:48

Oooh gthanks jicky. i iwll look into those two places you recommend!

nametapes Fri 30-Sep-11 09:26:11

After last easter (and the warmer weather) in the alps i would be careful how late you leave it as there was very little snow by the end of March in Megeve where we go , and we had to drive all the way to Chamonix. Of course if you plan for US or Canada they had tons of snow at Easter!
That is my thinking at the moment, but then i guess every year can be different. Its just appears that for the last 3 yrs each easter has got warmer and warmer. We are going in January 2012 with snow guaranteed.
Apart from that i cant really suggest any particular place.... so i hope you find somewhere lovely and have a fab hol.!

nowwearefour Fri 30-Sep-11 18:34:39

Thanks nametapes

wohmum Sun 02-Oct-11 19:57:15

We went to Silverstar last year and would definitely recommend it. Not too big, but lovely self catering accommodation and lots to do off the slopes, my 2 loved tubing and the mini sno mobiles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: