Talk

Advanced search

Winter Park, Colorado, or stick with Europe? I need a package trip.

(11 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 15-Sep-11 14:56:39

DD went skiing with the school to WP last year, flying in and out of Denver. The slopes are much quieter - we are restricted to Feb half term next year. They had an absolutely fabulous time.

Has anyone taken their family there? Ideally it would be a package as I am on my own with them and would like it to be very easy. DH doesn't ski and may well not be able to come anyway. My two DC are able and confident skiers and I am a red run kinda girl with no more ambition.

ImpyCelyn Thu 15-Sep-11 15:36:07

WP is amazing!! Go, go, you won't regret it!!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 15-Sep-11 16:09:18

That was what DD said - apart from the fact they all had nose bleeds from the altitude!

Nevercan Fri 16-Sep-11 13:54:53

Colorado is fab - big wide slopes. Only downside is the travel time compared to Europe.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 16-Sep-11 20:22:16

True. Must be 10 hours? There is a funny google earth pic of the ski resorts in Colorado and of course they are just concrete paths that get snowed over. The pic is of them in the summer.
Our school goes to the USA because they find the European resorts so crowded in the half term week that they go in they were having so many accidents. Much quieter over there. Money was similar tbh.

I shall think on! But thank you.

AlpinePony Sat 17-Sep-11 13:48:56

Colorado is wonderful, however :

i) check when half term is in relation to Presidents weekend!
ii) CO slopes are getting more and more crowded - although I can't believe on a scale anywhere near Europe!
iii) It can be a bit "mall" like - e.g., at Vail and Keystone - you've to walk through kind of a shopping complex first to get to the lifts - which gets on my tits.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 17-Sep-11 15:30:39

the last couple of years we have been to Austria and the slopes are white hot. I reckon you are more at risk from being hit by an out of control skier than just falling.

The mall bit does sound irritating...

Just to persuade DH now, although he may be keener on Canada.
Actually I just want to go skiing - anywhere would be lovely
<gloomily looks at out miserable rainy weather>

Bu thank you - I will check dates...

AlpinePony Sat 17-Sep-11 15:51:30

I went to Austria this Jan, the two quietest weeks of the year and we were horrified by the crowds. Agree with you, much more at risk of being hurt by a moron, in fact my boyfriend had his two front teeth 'moved' by some out of control moron. sad

We've found Norway pleasantly deserted but for me, it's Canada for great open quiet places. Although Utah is supposed to be good lack of crowds wise.

Best of luck, I'm ever so envious, but am due mid-Feb so I think I'm out this season. ;) although a Tuesday morning in Norway in January would be as safe as walking across the living room!

Peetle Tue 20-Sep-11 09:39:04

I've skiied France a few times and the US (and Whistler) a few times and, given the choice would always go across the pond.

The plus points are: little or no queuing, or if there is any it's very well marshalled. There's a real service culture in the states, whereas in France I find the staff (restaurants, shops, lifts, etc) seem to regard punters as an inconvenience. And there's the language.

The negatives are the travel time and jetlag. Also, Colorado in particular is high, meaning you feel like you have a constant hangover for the first few days and run out of puff on the stairs. The altitude does make resorts more snow sure and the snow powdery, though it can get bloody cold (-22C in Copper Mountain is my personal "best").

As far as costs go, it is more expensive to get to the states but it's generally cheaper in the resort and on the mountain than in France. Especially with the current Euro/Pound/Dollar situation.

Just wish I could afford to take our four year olds. Oddly enough it's nearly five years since I've been...

AlpinePony Tue 20-Sep-11 09:54:05

Pettle I'd agree with that - the North American (incl. Canada obviously) hospitality is second-to-none. It is on the surface more expensive, but the quality is so worth it and if you're lucky enough to be close to an outlet mall e.g., Silverthorne with Copper, A-basin, Keystone, Beaver Creak and Breckenridge all with in 20 minutes you could save yourself a fortune by er... buying stuff! blush

munstersmum Tue 20-Sep-11 10:05:35

Been both sides of the pond. Breckenridge good (not through a mall), Banff/ Lake Louise beautiful but not many back to front door options. Tahoe the most stunning, best service, friendliest & tag on a couple of days in San Francisco (Virgin do packages).
In Europe not fond of France. Most civilised Arosa. Fly then train - your baggage goes on ahead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now