Talk

Advanced search

Skiing with a nearly 2 year old...suggestions please.

(13 Posts)
BoattoBolivia Tue 30-Aug-11 22:49:02

we have been incredibly lucky in that, for the last 5 years, my parents have rented a couple of flats in Lech in Austria for a couple of weeks and invited us, my sisters and assorted grandchildren to join them. We all tend to overlap by a few days so the cousins have some time together, then the children are in ski school for the week and the adults ski as they feel like it. Dd is now 9 and really enjoys skiing and I would hate to stop her now HOWEVER, my parents have now decided that they don't have the energy or enthusiasm any more, my mum didn't ski at all last year, but helped out with the babies so that parents could ski together occasionally. We have no problems with this, and totally understand where they are coming from, and are very, very grateful for all they have done for the last few years, but we are now stumped.
We have ds, who will be 2 in March, and dd who is 9. Dh and I are competent, but not fantastic skiers, and not very fond of skiing alone. What do people do with toddlers in ski resorts? Do they really go in a creche every day, and I'm not sure ds would do that happily?
Where would you recommend? I love Austria and have never skied in France, but would prefer self catering, which can be harder to find.
To make matters worse, I am a teacher, so can only really go at February half term, so anyone with any sense would not want to go with us!
For various long winded reasons, going with either of my sisters is not really an option.
Help!

ChristinedePizan Tue 30-Aug-11 23:04:26

What I did with my DS at that age is that I skied in the morning while my parents looked after him and then we spent the afternoon together/they did other things.

Some days they would bring him up the mountain in my back carrier, other times I would come down to meet him.

I am a single parent though so I think this is less of a big deal if there are two of you - you take it in turns to ski in the afternoons or maybe have a lesson if you're not too confident to ski on your own? Also many ski companies will organise group skiing sessions for relatively confident skiers to join in with - esprit etc do this.

We go with my parents - DH is still a beginner really and needs a lot of ski school.

Have a look at Mark Warner - they do catered chalets/hotels with childcare available.

Oh, and they offer ski guiding also, so you are in a group not alone.

BoattoBolivia Tue 30-Aug-11 23:08:32

Yes, that's what we did last year, but no parents this year sad. tbh, it's not really the lack of confidence, more that it doesn't really feel like much of a family holiday if one adult is skiing, dd in in ski school and the other adult is looking after ds. I suspect we will end up not going this season. Even more sad

madwomanintheattic Tue 30-Aug-11 23:24:24

we went to katschberg when dd2 was about that age. we had requested an english speaking nanny through the family friendly hotel... unfortunately, when we arrived, the english speaking nanny could barely manage 'hello', let alone understand the samll bundle of complexity that was dd2. our older kids who were about 4 and 6, maybe 5 and 7, were in ski school and loved every minute, but tbh we got worn out by dd2 screaming the place down every time the 'english' nanny pitched up.

that said, we've used a lot of childcare in canadian resorts with no problems (ds1 was in daycare at lake louise when he was 10 weeks old lol). with three dcs, all of them have spent time in resort daycare, with varying degrees of success. some have been brilliant and dcs beg to go back and play, some have been brilliant but the dc in question has been in a strop and it hasn't worked out.

ds1 spent a memorable 4 hours standing with his arms folded behind the check-in desk at tiny tigers at sunshine village when he was 2. he was in exactly the same place ehwn we picked him up, and they said he hadn't moved all morning.

really, skiing with toddlers is a bit hit and miss. we used a great place in norway, for example, but you don't really know what's going to happen until it does!

look on the bright side - next year, dd will be old enough to go into daycare that has a toddler ski programme for an hour or so a day, so it will feel less like abandonment. grin

we survived resort daycare, and so did all three kids (dd1 from 11 mos, ds1 from 10 weeks, dd2 from, hmmm, about 2 i think. she was trickier as she has a disability, so we were a bit more sceptical about leaving her) but it's up to you. some have pagers so you can be summoned when required - it was really easy when ds1 was breastfeeding for example - but you kind of have to factor in how long it takes you to get back. grin

good luck and have fun, whatever you choose to do.

ChristinedePizan Wed 31-Aug-11 10:57:51

Sorry, didn't realise your parents weren't going - my parents don't actually ski any more but they like going on ski holidays so thought yours were coming. TBH I'd leave it for a bit. It's not much fun if you can't ever ski together (unless you go for the nanny/creche option)

sandk Thu 01-Sep-11 17:07:32

IIRC you can self-cater with SnowBizz, who run a creche, and seem to get very good reviews.

AlpinePony Fri 02-Sep-11 18:08:29

I did mark warner in st. Anton this year so just up the valley from lech. Can't recommend it enough, our 6 month old had a whale of a time and we spent our days as a couple.

ChippingIn Fri 02-Sep-11 18:15:21

I love Lech and would not pass up a holiday there just because it didn't seem like enough of a family holiday. Sometimes DS just can't be the centre of attention. You all love skiing - you don't need to miss out.

You have a few options:

Take turns skiing with DD & minding DS
All 3 of you ski together and DS goes into a creche
You take an Au Pair/Nanny with you - it needn't cost you more than her flights/bed etc
Do you have any friends with teenagers??

Take me grin

BoattoBolivia Fri 02-Sep-11 23:17:57

Tbh, although we all love Lech, I don't think we can afford it without my parents! grin

nametapes Sun 04-Sep-11 17:48:17

I will come with you!
I am a mother of 3 , the two older ones are now grown up. My 11 yr old weekly boards and at half term in Feb is skiing with his dad.
I have 10 yrs experience as a nanny (sole charge with babies/toddlers) before i had my own. I am patient, loving and have an excellent knowledge of child psychology/development.
I am CRB checked 2x this year, , 8 yrs skiing experience, first aid and lifeguard trained, and adore little children.
I would love to come to a ski resort for a week and look after your little one. I am very fit and active having been a fitness instructor for many years as well. I have a little very part time nanny job here in Wiltshire , only 4 hrs per week., so easy to organize a week off.
If you are interested I will come for free if you finance my transport to get there etc...
Hope to hear from you soon.

nametapes Sun 04-Sep-11 17:49:59

P.S. I am Montessori nursery trained and qualified as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now