Talk

Advanced search

Summer skiing advice

(6 Posts)
TheMitfordsMaid Tue 30-Aug-11 13:20:19

i remember summer skiing as a child at the Stubai glacier in June/julyish and would like to take my then 5 and 3 year old sons next summer. I appreciate that at that time of year there are no guarantees but I'm sure we can find plenty to do without snow. Neither of them can ski but physically they are pretty robust so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Has anyone got any advice to offer regarding resorts? I'm assuming that there will be kindy ski school available? I'd also appreciate hotel recommendations too, nothing too expensive and self-catering might be an option, although we may bring grandparents so would need to sleep 6.

AlpinePony Tue 30-Aug-11 14:07:42

Tignes, zermatt, whistler?

TheMitfordsMaid Tue 30-Aug-11 14:16:39

Whistler is too far away for us, we need to drive there and only have a relatively short time. What are Zermatt and Tignes like during summer? I've skied lots in Austria but only once in France, and wasn't thrilled by the scenery. Will google...

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 02-Sep-11 13:53:11

Hopeful bump!

AlpinePony Fri 02-Sep-11 15:57:07

I'm sure you can google photos of scenery.

Chamonix is another summer option but like Zermatt, hideously expensive.

You'd probably also find Norway still going in June.

LIZS Fri 02-Sep-11 16:07:44

There is usually plenty else to do in alpine resorts but I would say that summer skiing can be hard going for novices, even assuming there is a suitable area. You are relying on getting up to high altitude and using short, possibly steep, drag lifts rather than nursery slopes. Also by lunchtime the snow is heavy slush so you need an early start. Unlikely there would be any organised kids group ski lessons at that time of year, you'd probably have to organise private tuition, but the resort ski school should be able to direct you if you enquire during the winter season. Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun/Zell am See in Austria or Saas Fee or Engelberg in Switzerland might be other possibilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now