Talk

Advanced search

Obergurgl or Obertauern advice please!

(6 Posts)
Shanini Sun 28-Aug-11 12:42:50

Hi
I'm in charge of booking next year's skiing trip for our extended family, and need some advice. We've been to Saas Fee the last couple of years, and are looking for a bit of a change. Things we love about Saas Fee are the snow sure slopes, hotel really close to nursery slopes, family friendly hotel (separate room for kids just off the main bedroom and special kids mealtimes). The thing we are going off a bit is the long transfer so we're thinking of a change, and are looking at either Obergurgl or Obertauern in Austria. Has anybody been? Do you have any hotels you'd recommend? We don't want anything fancy, but having been spoilt with the separate kids rooms in Saas Fee, that would be a bit of an essential! Also, the grannies would like a swimming pool!

Any advice or top tips would be gratefully received! Thanks in advance xx

BerylStreep Tue 06-Sep-11 16:16:44

No advice, but will lurk.

We have been to Morzine for the last number of years - I can recommend the hotel we went to there - Le Dahu.

Swimming pool, jacuzzi, amazing childcare, even more amazing french cuisine every night (with earlier kids sitting so you eat in peace), great rooms, with separate kids sleeping, and although not close to the slopes - drop off and pick up in the mini-bus.

Would go back again and again, but we want to try a new ski area.

BerylStreep Tue 06-Sep-11 16:17:57

BTW, we have been to Saas Fee and enjoyed ti - would consider going again - what is the name of the hotel you stayed at?

Shanini Thu 15-Sep-11 13:31:43

Saas Fee hotel was called Waldesruh. It is brilliant - right at the bottom of the slopes, with ski kindergarten just outside the door, family rooms with separate kids sleeping, kids mealtimes and generally brilliant service. The same family operates the Alphubel, which offers free childcare for both hotels - they pick up from the waldesruh if you want to use it. Apparently it is really good and the staff in the nursery all speak English. We didn't try it as our children only speak Welsh at the moment!

marianhalcombe Thu 13-Oct-11 18:45:46

Snowjet operates flights to Sion which makes the transfer to Saas Fee a lot shorter (about an hour - 1hr 30 I believe)

Just a thought as the Waldesruh/Alphubel and Saas Fee are pretty special!

marianhalcombe Thu 13-Oct-11 18:48:01

Re: Obergurgl. There is a kinderhotel which operate along the same lines as the Waldesruh

http://www.hotelalpina.com/kinder-hotel-skiurlaub-obergurgl-oetztal.html

I believe Kinderhotels are the Austrian equivalent of the Swiss Kidshotels. Alphubel is a kidshotel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now