Talk

Advanced search

Scottish Skiing Anyone?

(28 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Nov-10 16:35:03

Just me and DS going this year as DD is with the school in Colorado envy

I wondered about Scottish skiing although we are absolutely tied to February Half Term, ie Feb 19th onwards. What does anyone think of Scotland? Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay, resort etc. We have only really been to Austria before, my fave being Kirchberg.

AgentProvocateur Thu 25-Nov-10 16:57:30

Brrrrrr!

Is it Aviemore you're going to? I don't ski, but DH took the DC last year to Aviemore, but there was too much snow, so they went to Glenshee.

It gets very busy, although our (Glasgow) half term is the week before, so it might be OK. Aviemore is a bit faded and jaded, although I think it's improved lately, but it's always good fun in the skiing season.

Most of the Macdonald/Hilton hotels are OK, but unless your son is small, I'd avoid Coylumbridge.

Will you be driving?

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Nov-10 17:15:11

Thanks!

DS is 11 and a better skier than me, he is good - red/beginning black runs.

I'm not sure how we'd get there, we live SW of London. Our Half Term is later than normal this year, I think it's because Easter is so late. TBH tho, Austria is white hot during half term because the UK tend to coincide with the Dutch and Germans' break.

Is Glenshee one to look at? What about Lecht? Do they have a good snow history for February?

orienteerer Thu 25-Nov-10 19:26:34

Blimy.....big difference between Kirchberg & Scotlandgrin....but I love your lateral thinking.

AgentProvocateur Thu 25-Nov-10 20:18:26

There's not much at Glenshee or the Lecht, I don't think. Glenshee is within easy travelling distance of Glasgow, and the car park tends to fill up really early.

I think Aviemore would be your best bet, but hopefully a skier will come along soon to give you better advice.

Unprune Thu 25-Nov-10 20:22:12

I think it's been really unpredictable for about the past 18 years. If DH goes, he looks at the forecast, spots a likely day, and then goes for it if it's not awful weather. (Glenshee and Lecht I'm talking about).

Aviemore as a place to stay has apparently improved. We were just lamenting the loss of the Happy Haggis restaurant grin I grew up in the area and if I go back there I'm always surprised by how bustling it is (cf the 80s).

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 20:25:16

It ALL hinges on weather. I imagine Cairngorm and the Lecht were both busy today! The Lecht is smaller but great fun, but if you stay at Aviemore there's more to do if there's inadequate snow for skiing on Cairngorm. Of course they're within easy driving distance of each other (an hour).

Haven't skied myself for years but am local to the area and think we could easily compete with Austria grin

AgentProvocateur Thu 25-Nov-10 20:27:00

I went a lot in the late '80s. I spent many a happy night in the Winking Owl and the Skiing Doo.

Unprune Thu 25-Nov-10 20:28:56

Ah Agent, maybe our paths crossed grin

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 20:29:43

Prune Aviemore is still dire, it really is - just glossier on the surface and the dayglo salopette-wearers have been replaced by bedreadlocked boarder dudes!

Unprune Thu 25-Nov-10 20:31:28

In my day it was skinny, greasy blokes in faded Metallica t-shirts and drainpipes, who said things like 'gimme your tongue, ya hoor' in a highland accent.
TBh anything is an improvement on that!

Unprune Thu 25-Nov-10 20:32:18

(I think that marks me sufficiently as a local. grin)

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 20:36:51

I wish I could report that the standard of chat has improved but you could have been describing any of a number of current local "characters" I can think of!

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 20:39:38

Really sorry OP, we're not selling this to you are we? Do come, it's lovely!

Unprune Thu 25-Nov-10 20:42:37

Stickers....I probably went out with a couple of them, back in the day blush

Unprune Thu 25-Nov-10 20:45:16

Ok, selling, selling.
I knew a family where the dad had been a skiing instructor on Cairngorm. He'd taught a Swiss woman...who was actually an heiress. They married and had many children and he got a job in daddy's firm etc etc.
No locals involved, obv!

geordieminx Thu 25-Nov-10 20:45:24

Which of the Hilton/macdonald hotels would be the best to stay at... We have ds who is 3, not really interested in skiing, more playing in the snow etc?

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 20:48:07

They're possibly still lamenting the one that got away then ... drowning their sorrows in Tennents. In fact there's an AC/DC tribute in Aviemore this weekend, I imagine it'll be like time travel!

fluffles Thu 25-Nov-10 20:52:06

aviemore is great - ignore them!

i'd stay at the coylumbridge hilton probably if you must stay at a hilton/mcdonalds which is suppose is a good idea with a small child.

Dh and i go alone and there are much nicer small hotels in the area if you've got a car.

fluffles Thu 25-Nov-10 20:53:32

oh, and from london - train is a good option to aviemore for cairngorm. you need a car for everywhere else.

i've spent time at them all and really cairngorm is the only one with enough piste for more than a single day.

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 20:56:46

Coylum has a wee pool and a soft play, but there's a huge pool with slides at the Aviemore Macdonald place, and I'm fairly sure they've now got a wee soft play too.

Also there's the Highland Wildlife Park, Reindeer House, Treezone and stuff for non-skiing days.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Nov-10 21:14:45

hmm
I wish it was more local so we could go when the conditions were good. I really fancy it though! The idea of the Happy Haggis makes me happy too!! Is it too much of a gamble to think ahead like this cos of weather conditions?

None of you have put me off completely though!!

stickersarecurrency Thu 25-Nov-10 21:21:46

Going by last winter, and some long term forecasts, there should be snow. Having said that (and glanced out the window) what are you doing this weekend?!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Nov-10 21:36:52

Lol Stickers. I would love to! I really really would!

Highlander Sun 28-Nov-10 14:51:55

Ah........... the Winking Owl. many a post-climb night spent in there, beating off the local hoodlums.

We're booking Feb half-term at the Macdonald lodges - still get their buffet brekkie and use of all the pools etc.

Look on Trip Advisor, and carefully compare! I don't think the Hilton comes out very well - the food sounds minging.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: