Talk

Advanced search

Can I get ski fit in 6 weeks?

(8 Posts)
holidaydreaming Wed 24-Nov-10 22:23:44

Arghh - haven't done any exercise for months.
I know I'll enjoy skiing so much more if I'm not huffing and puffing and adjusting my (little) technique to stop myself from falling over from exhaustion!

Problem is I (surprise surprise) have a couple of little ones who I'm tied to all the time when I'm not at work.
DH works at odd times so he's not really around to look after them if I want to go out.
Can only really foresee myself exercising 2 or 3 times a week, either with kids or at about 10pm!

Has anyone got any ideas or a suggestion of a dvd I can buy so at least I can pretend to myself I'm making an effort?

AlpinePony Thu 25-Nov-10 07:16:42

You don't need an hour at a time or even to get out of the house or have someone look after the kids.

Just use advert breaks. Everytime an advert comes on do some squats/lunges for quad strength (and tighter bum) and push-ups for abs-strength (for moguls) and biceps. For triceps (if you need to push yourself along with your poles) then you can do something I've no idea what it's called, but basically you stand with your back to a chair, put your hands out behind you and then lower your bum towards the ground and up again using your arms.

OK these won't build on your cardiovascular, but with the muscles in place you'll use less energy if you're skiing fluidly and so won't need a marathon runner's stamina.

LIZS Thu 25-Nov-10 16:07:09

I've got 4 weeks blush. Am trying to do leg exercises while brushing teeth !

holidaydreaming Thu 25-Nov-10 17:00:48

Thanks - am just about to try your descriptions AP. Parents in law are staying at mo so this will amuse them!
LIZS - what leg exercises do you do?
Also, boiler has just broken so good way of keeping warm too!

LIZS Thu 25-Nov-10 17:09:15

Mainly stretches and heel raises, 2 footed and one footed

maltesers Mon 06-Dec-10 19:44:30

I have been a fitness instructor for 15 yrs and am a ski fanatic, so i have a few ideas . . .

I suggest you get to the "Ski fit" gym class or do :-

50 good deep squats, legs close in and then wider
50 lunges with either leg forward
25 leg bends on only one leg (each leg)
100 leg raises to the side, infront and behind.
100 Abdominal curls *
50 Dorsal raises *

Plus, RUN up the stairs, not walk , when in the house.

*Tummy and Back and Torso strength important as well for skiing.

RaisinHell Mon 06-Dec-10 22:14:39

I have three weeks, I fear I have left it too late but might try Maltesers advice grin

maltesers Tue 07-Dec-10 15:46:24

BTW. . .thats EVERYDAY if possible. . . !!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: