Talk

Advanced search

Goggles or sunglasses?

(17 Posts)
sweet16 Sat 20-Nov-10 12:39:40

We're going skiing at Xmas for the first time in over 20 years (and teenage children have never skiied). We're trying not to buy too much stuff as we're not sure how much we're going to enjoy it and if we'll be going again or not. Do we need sunglasses and goggles or can we just make do with one of them - and if so, which? Feel some tips from experienced skiiers would be really helpful! We're going to Sainte Foy and driving down so the whole thing's a bit of an experiment to be honest....

natation Sat 20-Nov-10 13:50:17

Goggles if just choosing one. But if you shop at Decathlon, the prices are so cheap you could probably justify the cost of both.

TrillianAstra Sat 20-Nov-10 13:55:56

I borrowed goggles to go skiing and ended up buying sunglasses, goggles fog up and are annoying.

AlpinePony Sat 20-Nov-10 14:08:15

Goggles don't fog up if you follow the "goggle rules". wink

Personally I don't ever ski in glasses because I go too fast and the wind/cold hurts my eyes. When it's snowing it's virtually impossible (for me) to see anything with glasses alone.

IMO glasses are more appropriate for a spring ski break.

Second Decathlon.

LIZS Sat 20-Nov-10 14:11:18

Goggles at that time of year and much easier to wear with a helmet

sweet16 Sat 20-Nov-10 23:12:20

Thanks everyone. I don't expect we'll be going that fast (hope not anyway...) as we're all pretty much beginners. What are the 'goggle rules' by the way? Will check out Decathlon.

maltesers Sun 21-Nov-10 17:53:36

Certainly goggles at xmas time of year right through till March TBH, and even when skiing in April, goggles keep the face warmer (ladies/children especially ). . .
Sunglasses too when you are sitting out at lunch time. However, we didnt have one day of sunshine last January. . .it was goggles all day . . .!!

LadyBiscuit Sun 21-Nov-10 18:07:53

Goggles definitely. Apart from anything else, sunglasses tend to break much more easily unless you get very pricey ones. Also much better in foggy conditions which are more likely at that time of year than later

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Nov-10 18:15:19

Goggles for all round UV protection, and to keep wind/snow out. Even if you are not going high or fast, some lifts do. Sunglasses don't have any protection at the sides. Even if there is no wind or rain, UV can really cause damage at altitude.

Sunglasses for lunch!

If you are really undecided, try glacier glasses.

orienteerer Mon 22-Nov-10 21:26:41

Goggles. Lidl had goggles a couple of weeks ago, may still be some in stock.

greygirl Tue 23-Nov-10 08:55:18

i'd say goggles too - and absolutely helmets (but you can normally hire them in resort).
lidl were doing goggles for £8 or so last week, so get down to your nearest store. tresspass do quite cheap ones also.

lidl also last week were doing cheap but good skiwear, if you haven't kitted the kids out yet.

Whippet Tue 23-Nov-10 09:15:47

Goggles deffo
If you get caught up the mountain in blizzrd type conditions goggles will give you much more protection.

TK Maxx also very good for ski stuff.

Could anyone lend you goggles?

upahill Tue 23-Nov-10 12:48:26

Googles for sure! Much easier to ski with

prettybird Tue 23-Nov-10 12:50:58

Ldil may still have some goggles from its Ski Week last week. They also do very good (and cheap) glasses with interchangeable lenses: easy enough to change the lenses if the light changes while you are out on the slopes!

tiredemma Tue 23-Nov-10 12:51:11

Goggles. I wear contact lenses and my eyes tend to 'dry up' if I dont wear goggles.

Peetle Tue 23-Nov-10 16:47:11

Goggles when it's actually snowing, seriously cold or in "flat light", sunglasses when it's sunny.

My problem with goggles is that they steam up, and I've tried everything. Once on I simply don't take them off, that seems to help. So I always wear sunglasses except when it's snowing.

prettybird Tue 23-Nov-10 16:53:27

That's why I like the Lidl glasses with the interchangeable lenses: they include a yellow set which are good in flat light - and I can swap out mine and dh's from the "sun" ones to the yellow ones in the length of a chair lift journey

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: