Talk

Advanced search

Ski wear for 1 year old

(20 Posts)
Louziebuuz Sat 13-Nov-10 11:51:29

Going skiing on 9th Jan with 12 month old and 3.5 year old (very excited!). Have sorted the 3.5 yo's ski gear from costco for £35 but struggling to find warm /waterproof jacket and salopettes for the baby.

On ebay people advertise Mothercare salopettes or gap salopettes but can't find anything in these shops/online.

Can anybody help point me to where I can buy a ski jacket and salopettes for a 12 month old? Muddy puddles has a cute 2 piece but it costs £50!!

Do you think a Padded Next jacket would work? Realistically she is barely going to be in the snow - maybe a little bit of crawling / falling around but clearly won't be skiing or even outside all day...

Thank you!!!!

natation Sat 13-Nov-10 12:47:43

I really would go for a one piece or two piece snowsuit designed for the climate, plus thermal underwear, fleece, good fitting mits are a must.
I can't find this on UK's Decathlon, maybe they have them in store, in the Belgian and French Decathlon's, there is quite a choice right now, such as this one...
www.decathlon.be/FR/combi-srx-50-144004329/

Trespass or Dare2be ranges? You can get Dare2be in Donnay/Sports Direct shops in the UK I think? OR Mountain Warehouse?

LIZS Sat 13-Nov-10 16:47:54

Some slightly cheaper here ,this is cute and she could wear in UK as spearates too. Also try H and M and TK maxx .

Louziebuuz Wed 17-Nov-10 17:41:36

Thanks guys, Decathlon did have one instore although not online. Also assked in H&M and they said they do get some in but not for a while yet...

Thanks for your suggestions!

CluckyKate Fri 19-Nov-10 08:37:05

Muddy Puddles are pretty good for ski clothing for kids. I'd go the the all-in-one option too - that way no snow whatsoever will get in after a tumble in the snow.

Really worth looking on eBay as well - you can pick-up all different brands (Boden, Jojo Maman Bebe etc.) for quite a reasonable price & can always sell again when you get back for not a lot less than you paid (....or if you're lucky more!). I'd get in there quick though...

QuintessentialShadows Fri 19-Nov-10 08:49:02

Look, if you are forking out on going skiing, dont skimp on what you dress your baby in!!

Baby will not keep warm by being mobile, she will freeze within 10 minutes of sitting still in the snow, even if on a sledge.

Get her kitted out properly. Merino wool base layer, fleece trousers and top, and a proper one piece. You can check out Snow and Rock, and Blacks, or Ellis Brigham. Wool socks, and proper boots. Forget Mothercare, Boden and JoJo, it is winter fashion wear (for the British climate), not much else. You dont want your kids to look cute, you want them to be warm and not get hypothermia!

Ski gear from costco for £35? hmm

<shakes head and looks out on snowy mountains>

QuintessentialShadows Fri 19-Nov-10 09:00:28

one pieces

I think this will fit your needs: this one looks good but she will still need a scarf or something around her neck.

ChequeredFlag Fri 19-Nov-10 09:02:37

Spotty Otter have great stuff, fleece lined, down filled, waterproof.

Jojocat Fri 19-Nov-10 10:56:35

I would buy a good quality one on Ebay or look in TK Max or on muddy puddles website.

Some of the muddy puddles jackets are not that thick so you may need to buy fleeces to go underneath.
I would definitely go for an all in one snowsuit for the younger child.
I'd also recommend a warm hat that fits snuggly over the little one's ears plus mittens. Try and find a soft balaclava for the older child if they are skiing. You can get thin ones that fit under the helmet.

CaurnieBred Fri 19-Nov-10 11:05:37

Quint: the Costco stuff is Trespass. Our DD managed fine in hers last Jan in La Tania.

LIZS Fri 19-Nov-10 15:44:12

Just seen this which looks cosy

Rosa Fri 19-Nov-10 15:53:41

I was about to put on Ebay an all in one beige with mitts and feet - which is pretty well padded. It has a cotton lining and a windproof shell - Its not a thick shell but a polyester one ( so windproof ) IYKWIM. It is an Italian make ( Twiddy) and I used it on my dds in the thick of winter with low temps and high dampness. It also did a week skiing- it is warm I did however put dd in layers underneath !
Send me a message if you are interested.

CluckyKate Sat 20-Nov-10 09:03:29

You exaggerate slightly Quint - properly layered (doesn't have to be fleece or merino wool, although those fabrics are probably the best ) a 1 year old will be fine in Boden snowsuit. We used one on DD last year - she didn't get frostbite or hypothermia P.
Having said that, we didn't take her out in all weathers either....she just wouldn't have enjoyed it so there was no point.

tiredemma Sat 20-Nov-10 09:16:16

I second what others have said about it being cold if you are stationary and not actually skiing. Your one year old will be v.v. cold- make sure you purchase good quality thermals and get an all in one.

tiredemma Sat 20-Nov-10 09:17:36

The outfit that LIZS linked to would be perfect

QuintessentialShadows Sat 20-Nov-10 09:41:11

Yes indeed, it is the exact same as I linked to first, but mine was red. grin lol

Louziebuuz Mon 29-Nov-10 12:35:23

Wow...this thread got lively whilst I was away!!
Thanks Girls, for all your research - will be going with the columbia outfit...now just need to decide which colour!!

LIZS Tue 30-Nov-10 16:30:39

also 2 piece Columbia here

ChateauRouge Tue 30-Nov-10 16:38:48

Ooh- that's a great price! Too bad only baby siZes... bah! I have one for my 20mo, want one for 4yo now...
We love the gap warmest stuff though- down filled so v toasty.

hellokitty1 Tue 30-Nov-10 23:46:35

Hi if you have a baby girl i have got a one piece that i was going to put in ebay. Very good cond. from Roxy Brand, really cute pink, with hat and mittens attach.
email me for any questions on genkirosie@hotmail.com

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: