Talk

Advanced search

HELP - I thought it was easier to stop others accessing your posts on here!!!!!!!!!!!!

(17 Posts)
curiositykilledthecat Sun 31-Jul-05 14:51:23

I am using this name instead of my usual Mumsnet "handle" for certain posts. At the moment,I need to ensure anything posted under this name cannot be accessed by dh.

He knows my usual name and my email address and could probably guess my usual password.

I'm confused about how to completely protect certain threads on here.

When I try to log in, if I type my usual Mumsnet name, instead of the one here, I can still login as normal. I thought that would not be possible.

Then I think, ok, change my password, but it's easy to find that out if someone knows your email address.

Can someone tell me how to sort this out, or am I being thick and missing something v obvious?

Fio2 Sun 31-Jul-05 14:53:33

you could try regesitering with anoth email account, such as a hotmail on?

sorry if I am being thick

curiositykilledthecat Sun 31-Jul-05 14:58:37

Yes - I may have to do that if there's no alternative, although it's a pain as there's a glitch on my computer which means that if I try to set anything new up, it goes haywire and only dh seems to be able to sort it out!

I just thought Mumsnet would have set the login page up so that you can only get in with your "current" nickname, instead of any nickname you may have used.

curiositykilledthecat Sun 31-Jul-05 15:33:25

If he goes to "threads I'm on" - it will dawn on him fairly fast who I am too.

SoupDragon Sun 31-Jul-05 15:46:51

"threads I'm on" is designed to show all threads by your usual name and any aliases. It says this at the top IIRC. The only way round this is to have a separate ID with a different email address (do you have a spare hotmail one floating about?) It shouldn't do anything nasty to your PC to set up a hotmail address since it does not instal anything on your PC at all.

Not sure about the logging in bit.

SoupDragon Sun 31-Jul-05 15:48:25

Your best bet is to email MN directly to sort this out.

sparklymieow Sun 31-Jul-05 15:48:55

what about if someone on here set up an email for you??? only need a nickname and password.... could email it to you on your normal email and then you delete it........

curiositykilledthecat Sun 31-Jul-05 16:14:35

He knows how to access stuff on my computer that you would think was completely deleted - he's done this for me before, as he says "nothing is ever really deleted if you know how to retrieve it".

I know the threads I'm on shows everything, I just thought I was safe by using my changed mn name to log on, then there was no way he could access anything, as Mumsnet will only send you a password reminder via email and not divulge mn nicknames via email.

Does it say anywhere on here that you can log on with any of your mn names, rather than just your current one? If so, I've messed up .

rummum Sun 31-Jul-05 17:07:54

don't forget to delete your history on MN... then delete it in your recycle bin... to make sure your not traced

triggerhappy Mon 01-Aug-05 08:44:34

I changed my name to an alias to post something embarressing a while ago, then I simply changed back to triggerhappy.

as an experiment, I just tried to log in with that temporary name, & it wouldnt let me.

Hth.

Janbo25 Mon 01-Aug-05 15:29:52

what is it you're trying to hide

oops Mon 01-Aug-05 15:34:52

Message withdrawn

champs Mon 01-Aug-05 17:15:41

cant you come up with a different password and log out after you finish?

tech (MNHQ) Tue 02-Aug-05 11:40:10

Hello,
Just to clarify, your registration is tied yo your email address. Even if you change your nickname this is so. If someone knows your nickname and password - or your email address and password - then they can log in as you. This is why you should make your password something that no-one will guess.

You can only use your "current" nickname to log in. You can't log or post in with an old one, but you can switch back and forth between nicknames on the member profile page. Only you can do this though. Once you've used a nickname, no-one else can.

Regards,
tech

curiositykilledthecat Tue 02-Aug-05 23:05:33

But this is my point, and what is driving me nuts! I have been able to login with a "different" ie previous nickname to the one that is currently on my member profile.

Eg, say my current nickname is Fred and my previous one was Bill. On my computer, I am still able to login as Bill - so I can't protect my privacy.

Using a password that no-one could guess is of no use, because if someone knows your email address, they can ask mumsnet to send a reminder of the password.

Ladymuck Wed 03-Aug-05 22:16:46

But only if they have access to your email account too...

Ladymuck Wed 03-Aug-05 22:17:48

At least I assume MN send the reminder to the email address registered...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now